Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I can't imagine there's a huge amount of cross-Cummer traffic, all the way from Yonge to the GO....

But yeah, if you want to set development ablaze here you don't have to announce Cummer Station. You just have to do an EA for a subway in 2008, let everything simmer for 15 years, and then announce a tunnel RFQ a full 15 years later, during a housing crisis, while the government is changing legislation and policy to make development easier and faster, especially near transit. If you didnt get in on a land assembly at Cummer during the Obama administration, I wouldn't start looking now.

Or you can just take the 939 Finch East express to Leslie. The south end of Old Cummer is at Finch. For the 3 trains a day that ply the RH line, my bet is no one does this route.

Virtual event coming up:

Screenshot_2023-05-14_224224.jpg

Screenshot_2023-05-14_224230.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-14_224230.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-14_224230.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 31
big updates from the toronto city council report about the yonge north subway
Metrolinx wants 450 million from the city to build the cummer station. Or 550 milion if we do it later
but this has to be done by august for it to actually happen otherwise it wont ever happen lol
1685457679679.png

1685457705301.png

Last edited:
big updates from the toronto city council report about the yonge north subway
Metrolinx wants 450 million from the city to build the cummer station. Or 550 milion if we do it later
but this has to be
View attachment 481534
View attachment 481535
Good information find, and pretty much summarizes how petty and stupid the province is being about this extension.

They have no problem peddling up tens of millions more for a Royal Orchard station, or for digging the tunnel deeper to accommodate literally 50 residents but they decide to play games and wont fund a significant station in Toronto which will draw X times more riders Royal Orchard. This is just comedically stupid at this point.

Good information find, and pretty much summarizes how petty and stupid the province is being about this extension.

They have no problem peddling up tens of millions more for a Royal Orchard station, or for digging the tunnel deeper to accommodate literally 50 residents but they decide to play games and wont fund a significant station in Toronto which will draw X times more riders Royal Orchard. This is just comedically stupid at this point.

I am not in principle against the notion of municipality paying for a portion of cost of stations that they would like - but at this point, the purely political nature of this process - vs. actual good planning - just made a mockery of it. I really don't want to hear anyone nickel and dime about "added cost" in a transit debate next time this issue came up - because ultimately they are just unprincipled.

AoD

honestly this whole project is done very poorly. They could have easily elevated the whole extension saving billions of dollars and making the stations 100 million each instead of the 500 million they are charging. The extension would have been completed faster and the route could stay on Yonge until reaching the 407 then meet with the rail corridor. The NIMBY's wouldn't be complaining about the train going under their homes, and the access from ground to the platform would be significantly faster. Yonge is wide enough for the whole corridor so expropriation would be minimal. They are redoing the same mistake as the TTC did when building the TYYSE, deep underground through extremely low land-use. I say delay and re engineer it. finch to steel can be underground, but after steels there is no excuse.

honestly this whole project is done very poorly. They could have easily elevated the whole extension saving billions of dollars and making the stations 100 million each instead of the 500 million they are charging. The extension would have been completed faster and the route could stay on Yonge until reaching the 407 then meet with the rail corridor. The NIMBY's wouldn't be complaining about the train going under their homes, and the access from ground to the platform would be significantly faster. Yonge is wide enough for the whole corridor so expropriation would be minimal. They are redoing the same mistake as the TTC did when building the TYYSE, deep underground through extremely low land-use. I say delay and re engineer it. finch to steel can be underground, but after steels there is no excuse.
you act as if the nimbys wouldnt be annoying with elevated stations?

A bunch of problems going on here:

-Is the assumption that north of Steeles the subway could be elevated based on something fundamental that changes with the road or the streetscape or the built form or the policy framework or is it just the arbitrary point where Toronto ends?

-As far as I can tell, road is the same width north of Steeles, the setbacks are roughly the same and there are more highrise applications already done and/or in process. The train was never going to be elevated - I'm just curious what logic there is underpinning the notion that it would have made sense in this specfic stretch (ignoring that this routing also could not have actually made a 90-degree turn off Yonge, into the rail corridor after getting to the 407).

-Sure, an underground station is $500M. But they already turned two underground stations into two above-ground stations. SEems important to mention that? The depth is an issue, at least at Royal Orchard but it's not really comparable to TYSSE aside from Royal Orchard. Part of that depth is no doubt due to the re-alignment but it's ultimately secondary. The intial plan was to go over the valley and once they decided to go under the river, the tunnel was going to necessarily be extra deep, coming up the hill, leaving the decision of whether to put a station there or not. I can certainly see the vote for "not!" but we still have to try to compare apples to apples.

-Trading a few dozen NIMBYs in one neighbourhoood who worried about a train under their houses for thousands of residents and businesses along a corridor upset about the noise etc. associated with introducing an elevated train in the middle of the region's most important street also strikes me as a poor political move, to say the least. It never would have flown.

They could have easily elevated the whole extension
I'd be careful saying that, Yonge/Centre is slightly more narrow with the historic buildings around. The large dip in Yonge may also present some issues, originally I believe they wanted to double deck bridge it, I'm not sure what the maximum grade is for elevated rail but there might be some issues there if it was elevated. Perhaps it could be a double deck bridge with Yonge on the lower level then.

Back