Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Why would you?
You do know that there are routes other than the ones that go north that leave from Finch. Such as to the airport, Square One, Oshawa... And they pickup people along Yonge St in the office buildings.

They connect to the other parts of the system.

So you want to eliminate those routes and have people take the subway to York region to take the GO bus to the Airport? Or ask people to take their luggage on the subway to Kipling and then the airport Express which becomes almost a two hour journey instead of 45 minutes.

There will still be a need fo GO buses at Finch Station.

You do know that there are routes other than the ones that go north that leave from Finch. Such as to the airport, Square One, Oshawa... And they pickup people along Yonge St in the office buildings.

They connect to the other parts of the system.

So you want to eliminate those routes and have people take the subway to York region to take the GO bus to the Airport? Or ask people to take their luggage on the subway to Kipling and then the airport Express which becomes almost a two hour journey instead of 45 minutes.

There will still be a need fo GO buses at Finch Station.
The only reason why there's a GO bus terminal at Finch Station is because that's where the terminus is for the subway. As an actual transit hub, Finch Station is actually in a pretty awful location, its not near any highway for interregional transportation.

If we need to get people onto major east west corridor, build a new bus loop somewhere near Sheppard-Yonge Station.

The only reason why there's a GO bus terminal at Finch Station is because that's where the terminus is for the subway. As an actual transit hub, Finch Station is actually in a pretty awful location, its not near any highway for interregional transportation.

If we need to get people onto major east west corridor, build a new bus loop somewhere near Sheppard-Yonge Station.
Have you heard of York Mills? That's why this station exists.
The problem is that during rush hours it's full, and it cannot accommodate the number of busses that depart from Finch.
Also there is NO space at yonge and Sheppard for a bus loop unless you integrate it at the existing station. But then you have a fare integration problem.

That's why they diverted buses to finch and passes along the busy office corridor.

If you stand at one of thos bus stops between Sheppard and Finch you will notice a lot of people getting on and off the GO bus.

Unless they bring back the GO transit co-fare you are going to inconvenience a lot of people who will need to pay an extra $2.80 to take the subway to a GO station.

Plus it's additional travel time to go from North York Centre to Richmond Hill to get on a GO bus to Whitby or Mississauga.

Instead people who work along Yonge Street will just drive, which defeats the purpose of having public transit in the first place.

The problem is that during rush hours it's full, and it cannot accommodate the number of busses that depart from Finch.
Also there is NO space at yonge and Sheppard for a bus loop unless you integrate it at the existing station. But then you have a fare integration problem.

That's why they diverted buses to finch and passes along the busy office corridor.

If you stand at one of thos bus stops between Sheppard and Finch you will notice a lot of people getting on and off the GO bus.

Unless they bring back the GO transit co-fare you are going to inconvenience a lot of people who will need to pay an extra $2.80 to take the subway to a GO station.

Plus it's additional travel time to go from North York Centre to Richmond Hill to get on a GO bus to Whitby or Mississauga.

Instead people who work along Yonge Street will just drive, which defeats the purpose of having public transit in the first place.
I'm aware of York Mills, but as you say there really isn't much south of the 401 so :/

As for the co-fare, the assumption I'm making here is that in 10 years time we have full TRBOT style fare-integration or something similar (Optimistic, I know, but that's my assumption when thinking about stuff like this). If no such fare integration exists then maybe there is value in sending busses north, but in general service stubs like this that are already served by busses and the subway would generally be considered bad design smells in a transit network.

I'm aware of York Mills, but as you say there really isn't much south of the 401 so :/

As for the co-fare, the assumption I'm making here is that in 10 years time we have full TRBOT style fare-integration or something similar (Optimistic, I know, but that's my assumption when thinking about stuff like this). If no such fare integration exists then maybe there is value in sending busses north, but in general service stubs like this that are already served by busses and the subway would generally be considered bad design smells in a transit network.
The location that needs a GO terminal is DonMills.

Yonge Street in North York is supposed to be re-designed to accomodate more buildings and better cycling infrastructure.

If fare integration is actually a thing that might make it better but you still can't cram all of those buses in York Mills or Yorkdale.

The past couple of replies are all talking about GO Transit bus services.

Go Transit should really rebrand themselves and not use the phrase "GO". It is too confusing when we say I go to Finch go bus terminal to go to Mississauga by go bus. TTC should also rename their "highway 407 station" on Jane Street because the name provides absolutely no information except that it is next to a highway that is more than 150km long.

GO Transit buses operate on two major highways: Highway 401 and Highway 407. After the Yonge North Subway Extension opens, it is most likely that the GO bus along Highway 407 will serve Bridge station. GO bus along Highway 401 will continue to serve Finch Terminal and along Yonge Street between Finch and Sheppard.
Options?: 407-Jane, Edgeley, Edgeley (407), Beechwood, Beechwood (407)

407-Jane would align with 407-Yonge for Bridge station, or would that all just be called Langstaff (both on GO and Line 1). Not sure if Langstaff GO is due to stay where it is or get moved north. But that's Langstaff Rd. E, as Langstaff Rd is disconnected and arguably the more known one, and would be a potential stop on Line 1 on the Vaughan branch were it ever extended. Now I'm dizzy.

Options?: 407-Jane, Edgeley, Edgeley (407), Beechwood, Beechwood (407)

407-Jane would align with 407-Yonge for Bridge station, or would that all just be called Langstaff (both on GO and Line 1). Not sure if Langstaff GO is due to stay where it is or get moved north. But that's Langstaff Rd. E, as Langstaff Rd is disconnected and arguably the more known one, and would be a potential stop on Line 1 on the Vaughan branch were it ever extended. Now I'm dizzy.
They should just extend the subway to Vaughan from Richmond Hill. There is space beside the 407 to build it above ground. You will need bridges thou.

They should just extend the subway to Vaughan from Richmond Hill. There is space beside the 407 to build it above ground. You will need bridges thou.
1641426583988.png

I mean there is literally that vacant lot across from the TTC terminal . . . ., no reason it couldn't be a terminal with a tower on top

Not sure if this is related. But here is a massive proposal for Yonge And Steeles. Could be a result of the Subway being extended.

It calls for the Centerpoint Mall to be replaced with 18 Towers.

Screen-Shot-2022-01-07-at-10.47.18-AM.png

Back