Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I agree with you in principle, but does it really matter what colour the trains are?

Red isn't my colour. :rolleyes:

Anyways, the TTC and most people are complaining that the they have to service people outside the 416 area who aren't paying property taxes. So instead of having the TTC manage it, get GO Transit who job is to get people from the 905 into the 416 with a higher service frequence compared to how GO operates now.

Once simple improvement is greater frequencies outside of Rush hour.

They should keep it at around 4 mins during the day...

Once simple improvement is greater frequencies outside of Rush hour.

They should keep it at around 4 mins during the day...

The current problem is that GO has to share the lines with CN, CP and VIA. Its one of the reasons that GO has a hour wait after rush hour is to allow VIA rail and freight trains to use the line.

Yes, that's why regional rail will need a dedicated pair of tracks in all corridors. Though, with the measly amount of freight on the Newmarket and Stouffville lines, sharing a double track corridor controlled by GO should be fine.

I agree with the 3 posts above.

I was thinking a cool way to do the Milton Corridor would be for Go to make their own route, which could be tunneled under Dundas from Kipling Station, and then however they want. Either continue the subway, which could have both local (subway-like) and regional (basically as it is now) service. If you ask me, it'd be the best way to do it. There's potential to do this kinda stuff on like all the GO lines, but I just think that the Milton route is the coolest one.

That kind of proposal has been discussed at length on the forum. CDL and my proposal would have regional rail trains leave the current corridor at Hurontario, run north under the street to Square One, and then turn west and run along the 403 transit corridor to rejoin the existing line just north of Erindale station.

That kind of proposal has been discussed at length on the forum. CDL and my proposal would have regional rail trains leave the current corridor at Hurontario, run north under the street to Square One, and then turn west and run along the 403 transit corridor to rejoin the existing line just north of Erindale station.
Oh, awesome. Good to know it's not a horrible idea (hopefully.) It's basically killing 2 birds with one stone, maybe more I'm not sure. Too bad it'll probably never get done :(

and now back to the topic at hand. Whats happening with this project. Ea was approved, so does it now await funding?

Oh, awesome. Good to know it's not a horrible idea (hopefully.) It's basically killing 2 birds with one stone, maybe more I'm not sure. Too bad it'll probably never get done :(

It really is too bad. It's a little to out-of-the-box for planning in Toronto these days. Once regional rail has been developed and people understand that it's basically just like a subway, only mostly above-ground, people will finally realize that it makes sense to tweak the existing rail routes to make them more useful. It's a shame that we can't just do it right in the first place.

Does anyone have any documents for the redevlopment that's going to happen on Langstaff?

There's another thread somewhere on Langstaff (found it) but you can see the final master plan here...

You also might want to see the related plan by Richmond Hill for the north side of Hwy. 7...

You're right that the YRT facility was moved. I think they're doing in Vaughan or something but, rather wisely, not on the ridiculously prime land at Yonge/407.

They definitely won't do the station as a rough-in. It's supposed to serve that new population AND the 1,900-car parking lot across the street, in the hydro corridor. The planners basically see that station and the terminus as a tag team, handling all the transit needs for the district.

One thing they are doing is phasing Langstaff development so the high density won't go in unless they are hitting (among other things) ambitious modal split targets. They want 66% of all trips to be non-auto.

http://www.yorkregion.com/News/Regional News/article/93562

York subway plans hit wall
Regional News
June 23, 2009 12:46 PM
by David Fleischer

After a brash, bold rush of work, the brakes have been slammed on planning for the Yonge Street subway extension.

York Region completed planning on the line that would take the TTC subway from Finch Avenue up to Hwy. 7, but without funding to proceed with engineering work and the protection of required properties, there is nothing more to be done, the region’s rapid transit committee heard.

Metrolinx, the regional transit authority, was set to review the region’s business case at its May meeting. However, the province restructured the authority’s board, disrupting the calendar so the item did not come up in May or June and may not come up in July.

Complicating things are additional costs and conditions Toronto council attached to its approval of the extension last January.

They include extensive renovations of the at-capacity Bloor-Yonge station, a study of rail yards needs and the prioritizing of a downtown relief subway line.

Despite conditions that could double the $2.4 billion cost, Viva manager Mary Frances Turner took a positive view at the time saying, “I think the project is in good shape.â€

But things look less rosy six months down the road.

“I think they went overboard,†regional chairperson Bill Fisch said of the caveats.

The TTC previously acquired funds for a $400 million automated system deemed crucial to making trains move faster, improving capacity needed for the extension.

Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti said he understood the approval would lead to a green light for the subway, but now wondered if that money could have been better spent elsewhere.

The region hoped Metrolinx would analyze which of Toronto’s requests were truly crucial, but that hasn’t happened yet.

Worse, Mr. Fisch told committee members Metrolinx has spent as much as $10 billion of its initial $11 billion allotment.

When the province announced it’s $11 billion transit commitment in 2007, there were hopes the federal government would ante up a further $6 billion, but this too hasn’t happened.

There are also concerns about what will happen to massive development applications contingent on the subway, particularly in Markham.

Liberty’s plans to build condominium towers at Doncaster Road are well underway and the town recently approved a master plan that would house as many as 30,000 people at Langstaff Road east.

Both proposals have built-in phasing conditions and could remain in holding patterns without the subway.

The region’s Yonge Street Task Force, consisting of local politicians and community members, will meet soon to make sure the project stays on Metrolinx’s radar.

“Things seem to be at a standstill ... we need another push to see where it takes us,†Mr. Fisch said.

The project’s environmental assessment is complete and with funding, shovels could go in the ground by 2012 with trains in service in 2017.

York can't stop pushing. Toronto will do everything it can to kill this project. I just hope Metrolinx studies this issue and decides that the DRL is the best approach.

Is the EA even finished? I'm pretty sure there's still a fair bit of planning that needs to be done before they can start construction.

Also, are they going to be doing the really huge stations with this extension? I think that especially in the sections through Thornhill, they should be as minimal as possible.

Last edited:

Back