Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Why not? A radial streetcar went all the way up to Lake Simcoe. Parts on their own private right-of-way. The right-of-ways along Yonge Street were removed to widen Yonge Street to make room for the automobile.

From link.

map.jpg

Jefferson.jpg
Very rural view at Jefferson in Vaughan Township c.1918
Aurora.jpg
Near Aurora after 1900.

Except this time, the electric railway will be underground, though it should mostly be on the surface to save money.
1. Sutton may be equally as far from Toronto as Barrie is, but there is no need to cross the Holland Marsh to get there.
2. The amount of stops that would be required would mean it would not be useful at all for long-distance travel, with nowhere near enough ridership to be cost-efficient on long stretches of the route.
3. As pointed out, the Newmarket Sub already exists. All that's really needed is to strengthen connections from it to the Yonge branch of Line 1, either through a Highway 407/7 rapid transit connection or a Line 4 western extension. If you wanted to go absolutely nuts, end it at a transfer station at Henderson Drive in south Aurora.

Langstaff is a perfectly fine place to stop for a long time. Let the outer suburbs handle outer suburb transit, so Toronto isn't inclined to cut their funding.

I already explained why, in the post right above yours.

Why would anyone in their right mind take the subway to Barrie when the GO train exists? It would be a literal money pit.
We should extend Line 1 to Barrie so I can ride from Lake Simcoe to Union for the $3.35 TTC fare. This is the most rational way to allocate capital to transit expansion in the GTA. Could you imagine having to pay a GO fare all the way from Barrie?

We should extend Line 1 to Barrie so I can ride from Lake Simcoe to Union for the $3.35 TTC fare. This is the most rational way to allocate capital to transit expansion in the GTA. Could you imagine having to pay a GO fare all the way from Barrie?
Except that the GO train would be faster, like an express.

i cant tell if this is a serious statement or in jest. $3.35 to Barrie is utopian dreamworld thinking. no way that fare can pay for the upkeep costs of even half of the infrastructure up that line. DOA

No one in Richmond Hill would confuse Richmond Hill Centre for Downtown Richmond Hill. The term Downtown would more quickly invoke the notion of downtown Toronto than old Yonge street in Richmond Hill. If one had any business there, you would refer to the library, the performing arts centre, or any of the many churches by their specific names.

The RHC bus terminal has been basically the primary place-maker of that area for twenty years. Before that, there was nothing except for the Silvercity.

We're going back to Suburbs 101 here. The current RH GO Station is relatively close to the historic downtown but off in an employment area (which will also no doubt see mixed use redevelopment now that iit's in an MTSA).
RH Centre will be a "new downtown" for Richmond Hill in precisely the same way VMC is for Vaughan and Markham Centre is for Markham.

(Whereas RH has a single historic centre, or two if you count Oak Ridges, the other two cities have multiple historic cores [Maple/Kleinburg/Woodbridge/Thornhill for Vaughan and Unionville/Markham/Thornhill for Markham]).

I don't think there's any confusion naming the final subway station "Richmond Hill Centre" and the existing GO station could easily be renamed "Newkirk." Local residents call historic Richmond Hill the "VIllage Core," but that's a bad name for a GO Station, even if it was located there.

And folks, no one will ever ever ever run a subway to Barrie. Even 1000 from years from now, it will never go north of the Oak Ridges Moraine (which is basically Elgin Mills Road).
Never ever.

i cant tell if this is a serious statement or in jest. $3.35 to Barrie is utopian dreamworld thinking. no way that fare can pay for the upkeep costs of even half of the infrastructure up that line. DOA
But that's the way we think in Ontario, we love pissing away money on major infrastructure projects that dont make any financial sense.

Let's not forget Doug has a dream to extend subways out to Pickering. So if he's thinking Pickering, i'm sure Barrie is not far off ;)

@TJ O'Pootertoot Probably the best course of action would be Richmond Hill GO -> Newkirk GO, High Tech Station -> Richmond Hill Centre Station, Bridge Station -> Langstaff Station with Langstaff GO remaining the same à la Downview Park
id say if anything have anything past RHC as overland rail. they can use short MU consists for the northern parts of YR.

id say if anything have anything past RHC as overland rail. they can use short MU consists for the northern parts of YR.

Maybe but they're so averse to aboveground, it's hard to imagine. I'm sure I've said before but if we're talking about a magical future time where transit funds are falling from the sky and all the other important stuff has been built, I could see Major Mac as a final terminal (or maybe juuuust north, in the centre of the Village Core). Or maybe you go up to the Village core, have a station in the middle and then dogleg east to end the line at the GO station. That kinda works!

Elgin Mills really seems a bit far to me, even in this context. Even over on the western leg of Line 1, bring it up to Major Mac and you get to the hospital and Wonderland; there will never be any density of consequence beyond that.

I could see going above-ground on the Vaughan side but given the RH heritage area, I don't see how that works along Yonge, really. But this is all basically fantasy planning anyway.

I'm mocking the kind of thinking that is out there that we need to duplicate GO service with a subway for what boils down to fare integration reasons. Like, we need subway (say Ontario Line) to Park Lawn GO/Humber Bay Shores because the GO fare is 40 cents more and the streetcar is inadequate, or because you'd have to pay an extra TTC fare if you need to transfer to Line 1. Some folks are just trapped in the box of thinking fares will never be integrated, and it makes more sense to spend $10-20B in capital than adopt a sane fare integration scheme. On the flip side, I can't imagine a world where it makes sense to spend the kind of money the province is spending on GO Expansion and not adopt some degree of fare integration to mitigate the perverse incentives riders have (that lead them to demand duplicate service at great expense).

I don't think there is much logic in extending Line 1 further up north given it is being routed into the same ROW as GO service. We should just expand the GO service and make better use of the existing investments.

Last edited:
RH Centre will be a "new downtown" for Richmond Hill in precisely the same way VMC is for Vaughan and Markham Centre is for Markham.

Yonge and 7 would actually be a "York Region downtown" as it basically will spill over into Markham and to a lesser degree, Vaughan. That intersection is in a strange way the true heart of York Region as its its major crossroads and transit hub despite it being at the outer edges of three cities, and development the subway will attract will make that obvious eventually.

Wonderland is in Vaughan?

The border between Vaughan and Richmond Hill is Bathurst Street, so unless Line 1 turns east and continue along Major Mack to Yonge or RH GO...
Richmond Hill would be reached by the east leg of Line 1.
ynse_map_-_april_2022.jpg

Canada's Wonderland would be reached by the west leg of Line 1.

upload_2018-10-16_17-15-18-png.160650

Back