Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

These are some impressively scaled plans.
Multiple 80-storey towers seems...ambitious but this is why I think people getting hung up on the alignment change and it's extra costs are missing the big picture. The whole point of the TOC program is to kick money back into the provincial coffers and I suspect these 2 projects will pay off more than a couple of extra ventilation fans.

(and I love that people were zooming in and counting the rail tracks to make sure there's enough. Only on UT!)

First of all, the route isn't final until the contract is signed. They have just changed from Option 3 to 3B, they can change again.

Secondly, even if the route is actually set, there is nothing wrong with discussing the options that could be. That's pretty much what this forum is about.

Exactly thank you. The concept for a Yonge extension is over ten years old and over that time TJ has constantly screamed that the plan won't change. Yet it's seen many changes.

And as for your post on the previous page about bridging the Don, yea it's good. Geotech for it was done, nothing weird about soils. All very doable.

Yeah it doesn't really make sense.

Putting the Leslieville portion of the Ontario Line underground will cost $1 billion, but this alignment change and the depth they have to dig will result in no additional costs?

A 9 storey depth would've been unacceptable for the Ontario Line, but deep stations are fine here?

In the Crosstown thread it's been suggested that the above ground portion above or below grade would've been nearly the same cost as it is now.

Apparently increased costs and budgets aren't a thing for certain projects.

It hurts their credibility, they should both be on the surface.

Ahead of tonight's meeting. Metrolinx has posted a 7-page open letter/FAQ to address tll the biggest Royal Orchard concerns.

There's all sorts of interesting stuff but a few days ago there was some dispute about whether there is below-grade expropriation. This confirms that, as I said, there definitely is.

1639696660847.png

EDIT: Attending the virtual meeting and they're going to get into more detail but they say the additional cost of the residents' preferred route is at least $235 million. So, there you have it.

Last edited:
95E27B0D-F566-4AD1-B252-AE4DEF73A893.png

Oof a royal orchard station will be 50m down

BB3456C4-946E-47AA-9B62-72B634D440E4.png

Last edited:
Another cool slide to see - this is an alternative alignment they considered (in response to the residents who say no one listened to them etc,). It seems pretty obvious how bad these curves are for a subway train and how this would kill some of the Langstaff development, in addition to the $235M cost and a full 2 minutes (!) of travel time added between Clark and Bridge.

You'd like to think at least a few of the residents are grumbling, "Fine, I guess I get why you're going under our homes. Hmpf!"

(EDIT to add another big factoid - according to Metrolinx, the new alignment is cost neutral in comparison to the previous alignment, so any additional costs [eg from going deeper] were offset elsewhere [eg with a shorter route])

1639698448360.png

Last edited:
Attending the virtual meeting and they're going to get into more detail but they say the additional cost of the residents' preferred route is at least $235 million. So, there you have it.

I'm guessing it'll be significantly more.

It's getting more and more difficult to take Metrolinx seriously.

I'm guessing it'll be significantly more.

It's getting more and more difficult to take Metrolinx seriously.

You think the route they're not taking because it would have cost a lot more (and had longer travel times if subways could handle the curves, which they can't) will... Cost significantly more? I'm not sure what you're saying.

Rereading, I think you got confused. The current shift was cost neutral. As I posted above, residents had asked them to explore an alternative that stayed on Yonge until the cemetery. That's the one that cost $235m more.

But, hey, we can ask Ontario taxpayers if they're willing to spend a cool quarter million to ensure these 20 suburban families are happy.

Back