Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

BUT these are 4 important projects, each overdue in its way, moving forward through the kind of inter-governmental cooperation that has been sorely lacking, pretty much forever. So, whatever the projects' individual flaws, this is a good news story and, at least for a few hours, I'll give Ford and Trudeau credit for it. Hopefully cooperation will be a long-term thing and not just a one-off.
Really we are in the middle of a transit renaissance right now. That this amazing third act is being approved is spectacular and each act seems to be bigger than ever. Prior to the opening of the Spadina York extension there was a long long period of almost no investment at all. There is now a real transit system in Ottawa, an LRT in K-W, a major new line about to open, and the major improvements across GO as we move towards all-day service is game changing. The move towards electrification and all-day service are surviving the changes in government and it had the potential to be very political (i.e. is climate change a thing). Hamilton LRT is coming back into plan. All good signs that transit now has the broad support it requires to continue to get built out over the next 10-15 years.

Really we are in the middle of a transit renaissance right now. That this amazing third act is being approved is spectacular and each act seems to be bigger than ever. Prior to the opening of the Spadina York extension there was a long long period of almost no investment at all. There is now a real transit system in Ottawa, an LRT in K-W, a major new line about to open, and the major improvements across GO as we move towards all-day service is game changing. The move towards electrification and all-day service are surviving the changes in government and it had the potential to be very political (i.e. is climate change a thing). Hamilton LRT is coming back into plan. All good signs that transit now has the broad support it requires to continue to get built out over the next 10-15 years.
In Ontario, yes. But I'm wondering if the federal cons will be as supportive. There's a good chance the liberals will get booted in the next election. I hope this round of funding is firewalled from the next election.

In Ontario, yes. But I'm wondering if the federal cons will be as supportive. There's a good chance the liberals will get booted in the next election. I hope this round of funding is firewalled from the next election.
If they get shovels in the ground before end of 2021, then should be fine. And Yonge North is the least controversial of the projects.

Though current polling shows there's a greater chance of the provincial Tories being booted, than the federal Liberals.

If they get shovels in the ground before end of 2021, then should be fine. And Yonge North is the least controversial of the projects.

Though current polling shows there's a greater chance of the provincial Tories being booted, than the federal Liberals.
Moving of the utilities come first.

Sure, but the Ontario liberals would get along much better with their federal counterparts if they're from the same party...

Good point. I can't remember what was said at the time on the three neighbourhood stations and if Federal funding would guarantee all three of them. Anyone else know or remember?

I don't think the fed money makes any difference in terms of the neighbourhood stations, though I wouldn't be surprised if the municipalities tried to argue otherwise. I don't believe the overall funding envelope has changed and I don't recall the Province saying that federal funding has anything to do with how many stations there are going to be. I think that's just been an assumption "out there", that the Province will build 1 station but when the feds pony up, surely they'll build the other two. I'm not sure any of the calculus has changed but they're still holding YNSE meetings so maybe someone will ask and, one way or another, that's supposed to be locked before the end of the year.

I also don't think elections change anything at this point. No one wants to revisit Scarborough. No one is going to risk votes in south York Region and, some design specifics aside, Ontario Line is on very solid ground and the Crosstown...I guess you could save $ by putting it above ground but only at the risk of pissing off a lot of residents and wasting time. Round here, I wouldn't count chickens until shovels are in the ground but this is about as good as it gets before that point.

Erin O'Toole has been a lot more pro-fighting climate change compared to most CPC leaders in the past, adding to the fact that his riding is in Durham, and that he would have a large benefit in supporting the local conservative party, I don't see much reason why O'Toole would be fighting against what are historical actions done by the provincial government.

Federal conservatives haven't been too bad on transit since the Harper days. I'm not worried about seeing anti-transit rhetoric.

I'm worried about transit politicking over specific routes and alignments through specific electoral battleground neighbourhoods, and what sort of delay that will cost.

Observations about maps.......

Have a look at where the 'Supporting the...." goes on each of these.............right across the route maps..........

1620767300601.png

Strategically placed where Cummer should be?

1620767350951.png

Strategically placed over the section with the most serious dispute about route and underground/overground?

1620767415559.png

Hmmmmm

Echoing @Undead here, can this funding be ripped up by a subsequent government? How locked-in is it? I'm way more worried about how the CPC will handle this funding (especially with all the noise about the deficit).

EDIT: Got my answer here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/ttc-other-items-catch-all.20264/post-1688785

Sorry for cross-posting. I truly hope this funding survives. I would love to live through a GTA transit renaissance - and I'm firmly in the "build, build, build" camp, regardless of my concerns about the SSE and the EW extension.

Echoing @Undead here, can this funding be ripped up by a subsequent government? How locked-in is it? I'm way more worried about how the CPC will handle this funding (especially with all the noise about the deficit).

EDIT: Got my answer here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/ttc-other-items-catch-all.20264/post-1688785

Sorry for cross-posting. I truly hope this funding survives. I would love to live through a GTA transit renaissance - and I'm firmly in the "build, build, build" camp, regardless of my concerns about the SSE and the EW extension.
I agree with this. As much as some of these design decisions bother me for these projects, it's exciting how much is getting done. Long overdue. YNSE, OL, EWLRT, SSE, both ECLRT, and FWLRT, suburban BRT expansion, hopefully fare integration, and especially GO RER. Plus additional improvements like the new subway trains, Bloor-Yonge capacity improvements, ATC on Line 2 hopefully, streetcar expansion, and general SOGR down at the TTC.

Last edited:

Back