Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Even if you put in platform screens, getting people to/from the platform will remain a safety issues as there are not enough stairs to getting riders off the platform faster than adding new riders.

I was on the first train from Islington last Sunday where we were force off the train at Keele due to smoke at track level or what every based on what I was hearing. I and others stand at the east exit and it took 2-3 minutes to clear the platform using the main stair since the escalator was still running up.

After the fire chief show up a minute or 2 after the train was in the station, the train driver was not to be found. Once he did show up a few minutes later, he headed east and no sign of burning material at track level.

The westbound train that just arrived after we were off the train ended up backing up to Dundas West station.

5 minutes later the next eastbound train show up.

Now if that happen at Bloor or Dundas, let alone Union or King at peak time, serious issues would take place to the point someone could had been kill.

Couldn't the TTC recover revenue quickly by using the platform walls for ad space? You'd think private companies would love to have platforms full of people just staring at their ads for 2-3 minutes.

They really don't need their cooperation. All the power that municipalities have are given to them by the Province, and can be taken away. If the province deemed it necessary they could take Toronto's role in controlling the TTC and make it part of Metrolinx.

It's always good to work things out with cooperation and feedback, so I doubt they would do that, but it's not like they can't.

Absolutey true.

But if the province did do that they could have quite the backlash on their hands. And I don't think this government is in the position to risk angering anybody in Toronto.

And they'd get it. But keep telling yourself that a Council which just said no (or declined to say yes if you prefer) to most new revenue options while at the same time asking for a thousand more subways would say no to a funded subway.

Council would probably say yes. We will have to see what the TTC bosses do.

Watch how quickly those platform screen doors are built once a few customers fall off a crowded platform onto the tracks.
Even with platform screen doors, the incident in which the four-year-old girl fell into the tracks at St. Clair station would have still happened anyways. If platform screen doors must be installed, platform extenders need to be installed as well. After all, platform screen doors themselves do not prevent little children from falling through.

An extender isn't possible at the location where the girl fell through because of the curve of the platform. If they built it out it would clip passing trains. That was a one-in-a-450-million event (or more? when was the last time a rider fell through the gap?), if anything all that's necessary is to repeat the warning to "mind the gap"

(or more? when was the last time a rider fell through the gap?)"
I lost a 3-year old down the gap between the platform and the train a couple of years ago. I just stood to block the door, hauled her out, finished boarding, told her that's why you need to mind the gap, and tried to ignore the shocked look from other passengers.

It never occurred me to terrify her to death and alert the media.

An extender isn't possible at the location where the girl fell through because of the curve of the platform. If they built it out it would clip passing trains. That was a one-in-a-450-million event (or more? when was the last time a rider fell through the gap?), if anything all that's necessary is to repeat the warning to "mind the gap"

New York City and Hong Kong has extenders that extend and retract. See wilkipedia.

[video=youtube_share;YwQ2jEJed5M]http://youtu.be/YwQ2jEJed5M[/video]

Last edited:
I lost a 3-year old down the gap between the platform and the train a couple of years ago. I just stood to block the door, hauled her out, finished boarding, told her that's why you need to mind the gap, and tried to ignore the shocked look from other passengers.

It never occurred me to terrify her to death and alert the media.

Wow. Didn't know this was so common.

Worst incident I've seen was last summer at Queen Station. A woman who was boarding a train managed to get her entire leg stuck between the train and the platform. Never would I have imagine that gap was large enough to let a foot, let alone an entire leg, fall through. Thankfully the woman didn't have any serious injuries. Worst I could imagine her having was a broken bone.

Remember, mind the gap. Always.

New York City and Hong Kong has extenders that extend and retract. See wilkipedia.

[video=youtube_share;YwQ2jEJed5M]http://youtu.be/YwQ2jEJed5M[/video]

Clearly, those extenders wouldn't be of any use to the TTC. It looks like those fillers are designed to close gaps of several feet. And the small gap that remains in the video still looks bigger than the ones we have here here in Toronto.

Clearly, those extenders wouldn't be of any use to the TTC. It looks like those fillers are designed to close gaps of several feet. And the small gap that remains in the video still looks bigger than the ones we have here here in Toronto.

That NYC curved station would have various gap widths, from the wide one shown to short. Toronto would only need short fillers, see this link. With ATC and screen doors, those fillers would line up even better.

MTR_Lo_Wu_Station_Platform_Gap_Filler.jpg

Worst incident I've seen was last summer at Queen Station.
I think it was Queen ... or Dundas, I lost the kid down ... northbound platform somewhere. I'll have to keep my eyes open, 'cause looking more recently I don't see the kind of gap you could do that in most stations.

I think it was Queen ... or Dundas, I lost the kid down ... northbound platform somewhere. I'll have to keep my eyes open, 'cause looking more recently I don't see the kind of gap you could do that in most stations.

Not just kids, adults as well. Even with gap fillers. See this link.

article-1348716-0CD42934000005DC-52_468x295.jpg

sub380_1187284a.jpg

Back