Toronto X2 Condominiums | 160.93m | 49s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

When you look at the crown of X2 and the windows in X with their blinds, you can see how the crown glazing matches the windows once blinds are in.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 1,779
I just realized X2 is by a different architect than X. How is that possible? It's pretty much the same design, is it not? Did Wallman collaborate with aA? Was the glazing supplier the same?

Wallman was at aA at the time that X was designed.

That would be a derrick to take down the crane with.

Thanks for the shot Benito.

This is perhaps more of a general question but I hope someone can help out. I am quite fascinated by the erection and dismantle tower cranes...particularly the internal-climbing setup.

I am guessing the building height limit for a mobile crane to take down a tower crane is on the order of 40 storeys or so. Can someone confirm? The tallest building for which I've personally seen a mobile crane employed was Milan (which I believe is 39 storeys).

In cases where it is possible to use a mobile crane, is that effort simpler and cheaper to achieve versus using a derrick on the roof to dismantle the main tower crane? I guess another way of looking at it is: will they more or less always elect to use a mobile crane where it is feasible to do so?

I'm not really sure how complex on-roof derrick configuration, but it seems like such a huge effort for the mobile crane...typically involving closure of at least one intersection for a weekend (needs paid-duty police I believe), a decent sized crew, etc.

I'm not sure what the maximum height that mobile cranes can currently reach, but I believe that the mobile is a much quicker and less expensive solution. Typically there will be tow or three derricks employed in the that process, as a smaller derrick will be needed to lower the first derrick's piece to the ground, and if that smaller derrick cannot be disassembled into small enough pieces to be taken down in the hoist, then a third derrick, smaller still will be needed to lower the second derrick's pieces down to ground level.

I have never heard of a fourth derrick being required to take down the third one; I believe that the third one has always been able to be lowered back to ground in the hoist.

Any word on what's happening with the ground floor retail for X2?
Is 1 large tenant confirmed, or might the space get split up?
Any idea on who is likely to occupy and timing of when it might be officially announced?

Back