Toronto X The Condominium | ?m | 44s | Great Gulf | a—A

I think they're for the retaining wall tiebacks.

Exactly!

Incidentally, I walked around the site today (Saturday, Jan. 19th). It's astonishingly dry, though you hear a lot of water going through the pipes to the big blue filter on the south side.

Tieback installation starts off slowly due to strength-testing. I wonder if the utilities under Jarvis Street make it awkward to drill under.

PS I notice that Tucker Hi-Rise is involved with Crystal Blu on Balmuto (and the same dewatering equipment to boot). Most puzzling, there is a HUGE mound of earth, and they seem to be retroactively installing the remaining tiebacks right at the top with a similar machine. The big question is how they are going to get rid of all that earth. (I wish webcams were routinely trained on construction sites.)

I noticed today that they are dumping large amounts of broken rock on the site. Is this to reinforce the ramp used to access the street?

Pictures C/O Current from SSC

2246006230_5b7bc11b7e_b.jpg

2246006234_19ce43fcd6_b.jpg

It appears that they have now built a new ramp on the north west corner leading into the parking lot behind the church. There were also 5 dump trucks there this morning, and the existing ramp (seen just on the left of the last pic above) is being removed, to revel the last corner. I assume this is so that they can put in the final tie backs, and then hopefully continue digging down the remaining levels.

It appears that they are putting in the remaining retaining wall tie-backs this week. Hopefully we will see more progress in the next couple of weeks than we have in the past couple of months.

It appears that they are putting in the remaining retaining wall tie-backs this week. Hopefully we will see more progress in the next couple of weeks than we have in the past couple of months.

...weather permitting

Photos taken February 22, looking north, the new ramp is on the northwest corner of the pit. A welder is working in the pit.

2287517480_29068ccb9c_b.jpg

Looking east, they are excavating deeper at the east side of the pit.
2287517500_44f91b0f50_b.jpg

Looking southeast at the east side of the pit.
2286757827_1e1311ab12_b.jpg

Looking west at the new ramp.
2287517508_ec071660a9_b.jpg

Thanks for the pics Current. They are making a lot of progress excavating down to the next level. It appears that they are about 1/4 or 1/3 complete.

Once they have completely excavated the next level, do they do another round of retaining wall tie-backs, or do they continue digging?

Back