Grimsby West Lincoln Memorial Hospital | ?m | 5s | Hamilton Health Sciences | Parkin Architects

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Hamilton Health Sciences is rebuilding the West Lincoln Memorial Hospital in Grimsby.

I.O. has awarded the contract to Ellis Don, which is now pending financial close, with construction to begin this spring.

Occupancy is pegged at 2025.

It's being built on land behind the current facility.
Architect (planning) was B+H Architects and mcCallumSather; design architect w/Ellis Don Team is Parkin.

Render from the above:

1650055427742.png

From I.O.:

1650055502177.png

CT will be a new service here.

O/Rs will increase from 2 to 4

Literally one week ago I sprung my Mother from a month-long incarceration (including a Covid-lockdown) at West Lincoln.

And now I have to read about Grimsby in an UrbanToronto Buildings thread. Look forward to North Bay updates soon. ;)

And yes, this hospitiful is desperately in need of renewal.

Literally one week ago I sprung my Mother from a month-long incarceration (including a Covid-lockdown) at West Lincoln.

And now I have to read about Grimsby in an UrbanToronto Buildings thread. Look forward to North Bay updates soon. ;)

And yes, this hospitiful is desperately in need of renewal.

LOL, we have threads for sites much further away already!

The furthest south we go currently is Niagara Falls, the furthest South-West is London, the furthest east is Kingston/Ottawa

The furthest north we go is Deerhurst I think.

North Bay is closer than either Ottawa or Kingston!

Last edited:
IF you zoom out on UT's map and then move it around :

1659283697194.png

A single project from 2017

Just one from Kingston (I thought we had more)

1659283772814.png

Good find!

While I'm not a fan of surface parking, I have to say, the proportion of trees to paving here is very good. IF they plant the correct species in the correct conditions, and have a good watering program for them at least for the first
two years, the entirety of the parking lot, or very close could be shaded.

Also, while the design is not particularly 'urban', it does add some value to the public realm and has decent quality pedestrian access to the site. That's good to see.

Although, why not put the hospital on the main road and the parking behind? That's cheap urbanism 101.

There's actually a decent reason; though I think there was a better outcome to be had........

The decent reason is that is roughly where the existing hospital is now; and they need to keep the existing hospital operating until the new building is ready. The subsequent redevelopment, in 30-45 years will likely shift the Hospital back to Main Street:

1659461912879.png

1659461938721.png

What I think could have been done instead, is turning the hospital's footprint to be perpendicular to Main Street, and siting it on the existing parking lot to the east.

To make that work, a new parking lot to the rear of the existing hospital would have been required, and driveway access along the west side; its likely the hospital also would have had to go 1-2 floors higher to fit the available space.

LOL, we have threads for sites much further away already!

The furthest south we go currently is Niagara Falls, the furthest South-West is London, the furthest east is Kingston/Ottawa

The furthest north we go is Deerhurst I think.

North Bay is closer than either Ottawa or Kingston!
I think it would be nice to have a separate section for non-GTA Ontario projects- not that they're unimportant (they're proportionally more important to their towns/cities than most Toronto developments), but that they do clutter the development forum on what was originally a fairly Toronto-centric website.

Back