Toronto West Harbour City | ?m | 36s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

It seems to me that the staggered side of the building would have been better facing south, no? In my opinion the terraces on the south side facing the lake would have been nicer than a freeway, plus the exposure to the sun would have been more desirable/enjoyable.

my guess is ... Plazacorp purposely put the staggering / terracing side on the north so that both north + south sides would be appealling / sellable, on the north side you get terraces, while on the south side you get lake views (minus the terrace)

FYNsite-1.jpg

The Fort York Neighbourhood is really shaping up ... this plan shows nicely what's being built, and what's to come ~

FY_context.jpg

The north side is terraced to match the height of the future building to the north as they meet Sloping Sky Mews. The first plan shows the north building and the north wing of WHC as 15 storeys. Both buildings are 9 storeys along the street frontage have vertical setbacks to be within the 45 degree angular plane from the street.

Ah I see, thanks for that information marcus.

It seems to me that the staggered side of the building would have been better facing south, no? In my opinion the terraces on the south side facing the lake would have been nicer than a freeway, plus the exposure to the sun would have been more desirable/enjoyable.

Salesperson told me that was the original plan but the city didn't approve it. Don't know why.

Ah I see, thanks for that information marcus.

I always wondered that myself. Thanks for the explanation.

No problem. I do want to make clear that I'm speculating this is the case based on these plans. I had no involvement in any of them or WHC, just a general understanding of urban design and other guidelines that led me to believe this is the case.

Attachments

• 3714953879_6c92dc3fb8_b.jpg
    3714953879_6c92dc3fb8_b.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 3715732942_9870605b34_b.jpg
    3715732942_9870605b34_b.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 287
  • 3715743852_494dc69107.jpg
    3715743852_494dc69107.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 262
GREAT shots St. Even ... thanks for sharing these ~

I guess there's no security @ WHC afterall ... (btw 36s is a lot of stairs !! :D)

Haven't been on UT in ages, but thought you guys might appreciate these. Climbed 36-ish floors last night and took these pics from the rooftop terrace at West Harbour City. What a view!

Did you get any nice shots of the Tip Top Lofts while you were up there?

@ten_eighteen: no, didn't shoot Tip Top. The red letters weren't lit for some reason.
@redroom: thanks, and also for the flickr love.
@solaris: to most people they're just another skyline shot. To urban geeks they're something special. :)
@condovo: i've got a five-pic panorama north to east from the same spot that i'll share here as soon as I get to it.

Back