Toronto West Don Lands: Blocks 17 & 26 | 141m | 43s | Aspen Ridge | Core Architects

From what I understand, the City is currently working towards revoking certain permits that pertain to this demo (hoarding, etc.) Public opinion may be our only meaningful gesture to slow this process down. Here are some petitions in the works:

This demolition is an utterly abysmal display of paternalistic provincial interference. The site can easily accommodate intensification while simultaneously maintaining the heritage components. The older building improve the urbanism of this area so much it would be absurd to tear them down if one had any idea what they were doing. I'm sure many developers would even consider the existing structure an asset so they can inflate prices. This type of governance is offensive to me.

The democratic processes we have, though mired in excessive red tape, shouldn't be circumvented by fiat. We need to do the hard work of reforming zoning without imposing bad planning on people.

From K W-T

It was only two days ago that I learned the Province of Ontario deployed a demolition crew to raze the four heritage buildings at the Dominion Foundry Complex on Eastern Avenue.

Since then I hosted an emergency meeting with local community leaders and our area MPPs, Chris Glover and Suze Morrison. There was broad consensus that the heritage properties should not be recklessly destroyed, especially without further review, public consultation or community notice.

Furthermore, I have been actively working with senior staff including City Legal, Transportation Services, Heritage and City Planning to determine how the Foundry heritage properties can be saved from imminent demolition. Through their research and review of federal and provincial statutes, heritage policies, laws and by-laws, City Legal and City Planning conclude that the Government of Ontario must carry out a Strategic Conservation Plan and Heritage Impact Assessment with public engagement before undertaking any removal or demolition of the provincial heritage buildings.

By its own heritage policies outlined in Standards and Guidelines for Conservation of Provincial Heritage Properties (2010), the Province of Ontario is required to “consider removal or demolition as a last resort, subject to heritage impact assessment and public engagement. Use best efforts to mitigate loss of cultural heritage value.

This afternoon, Toronto’s Chief Planner submitted a letter to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing and the Ministry of Infrastructure requesting confirmation to this effect.

In advance of the demolition of structures, please confirm that the Province has undertaken a Heritage Impact Assessment on the demolition, including public engagement on this alternative, that a Strategic Conservation Plan was prepared by Infrastructure Ontario and that the disposal conforms to guidance provided in the Strategic Conservation Plan.”

I think it is prudent for the Government of Ontario to carefully consider their response to Toronto’s Chief Planner. Any further disregard of their own heritage policies represent an irreversible mistake and a willful attack on the heritage and cultural identity of our province and city.

Once again, I call upon the Government of Ontario to immediately stop all demolition activity of the Foundry buildings, withdraw the demolition equipment from the site and to work collaboratively with the City of Toronto, local residents and community stakeholders on the revitalization of these historically significant properties.

If you'd like to support our efforts, please consider signing this petition from Friends of the Foundry.

Let's all remember that this is the architectural/heritage counterpart to the Ford gov't's stripping of Conservation Authority powers--that which led David Crombie and others to resign from the Greenbelt Council. And in all these cases, "housing" is a weasel word, because it connotes something of civic virtue, addressing a perceived shortage of the same--whereas "condos" would make one look like a creep, and "affordable housing" connotes something, er, "ghetto".

That said, I've seen self-styled pro-heritage people on social media trying to "whatabout" KWT on other heritage issues such as the Matador, which detracts from the case at hand...

Way to obliterate the only character or sense of industrial history remaining in the West Don lands... Another oversized, sad grey condo silo will no doubt take its place.

F6C0E736-E107-4345-8C76-F37A420105F8.jpeg

I have been admiring these building for a long time. I always assumed that they were being spared to create a community space, library, market, entertainment space, food hall, etc. I am appalled and deeply saddened to hear that their fate is the wrecking ball. These buildings can easily become a wonderful centre piece for this and surrounding communities. I know it will cost money however it would be well worth it. If this property is owned by the government of Ontario then it is owned by US the people! Therefore we should have a say in this.

Even more demolition equipment is arriving on site this morning. Very active site. It does not appear the province intends to acknowledge this at all. View attachment 294850

This is so infuriating. The minister for housing (Steve Clark) is avoiding all comment about this site. It's just so shady and corrupt. They clearly know how unethically they are approaching this.

What blows my mind is how little vision the province has here. This site can:

- Deliver Affordable Housing
- Deliver Market Rate Housing
- Retain & Refurbish The Historic Sites
- Create a Community Hub, or even a Cultural Destination in the WDL

It can be a big win for the neighborhood and province. It boggles my mind how the government is wasting it. The hostility they're showing is incomprehensible. I seriously hope the city finds a legal loophole to stop the demolition before it gets too far.

They're doing "naturally" what all shadey politicians do when their actions start to go under the public microscope. That is, they dig in. And in this case, literally... /bleh

If they're found to have acted illegally, they should be forced to re-build the structure.
Knowing this Ford government, they would probably just conveniently change the laws reduce penalties if they are convicted of any wrong doing. In similar fashion to how they made it more difficult to sue the provincial government.

Make no mistake about it, what's going on here is corruption. Albeit, it's in the form of what I called "polished corruption" whereby the parties involved cover up their tracks and disguise it to make it seem like there is no wrong doing whatsoever. The Ford government is clearly working with an unnamed developer here, and there are several parties that will benefit from it.

Back