Toronto West Don Lands: Block 13 | 139.31m | 43s | Dream | Henriquez Partners

So bland, so boring and so Toronto. Not sure what to do except write emails that get ignored.

What public money was spent at WDL?

The entire site was undevelopable - until the public (i.e all 3 levels of government) spent the money to floodproof the district and establish the required infrastructure.

AoD

Ok.....I'm going to join the pile-on here..........but after stating the obvious, I'm going to try a few different tacks.

Lets start with the obvious though:

1) The colour has shifted from warm, vibrant and interesting, playing w/over lapping warm tones that shift on the building face to monolithic charcoal grey/black. Dreary, Dull, Unoriginal, Unnecessary and NOT a response to any of feedback from the DRP so far as I can tell.

2) i liked the the 3-tiered height along the Bayview/Park frontage, I thought that did a good job breaking up the massing along w/the subtle colour changes over the course of the height. The simplification to two forms, short and tall(er) is too simple and a let down.

3) The balconies in the previous iteration did have some challenges in terms of practical use, but added nice aesthetic whimsy. I would reference Aqua Luna for how to bridge those two things.

Let me use this shot from @hawc in the relevant thread to illustrate:

1720109836779.jpeg

Notice how you see the undulation (the in/out rhythmic movement to/away from the building, but they've done that while creating more functional layouts/sizes of balcony make them more than just a decorative feature.

There is no saving anything in this iteration. I didn't see the DRP in person and the video is not yet posted so I don't know what their take was...........but this is just a hot mess of garbage. I would 100% go back to earlier version and just move on.........

Failing that........lets bring back the original brick and colour scheme here if nothing else.......but also, just on the Bayview/Park elevation, for the love of.........ditch that flat-ness, and add back flavour.

The architect is unchanged here............ and they need to be told clearly that this is not okay, as does WT and DREAM

They won't like me for this..........but oh well:

Architect is Henriquez

Gregory can be reached by emailing nicolettewilliams@henriquezpartners.com

Shawn can be reached at : shawnlapointe@henriquezpartners.com

Let them know what you think!

To be clear, in my experience these guys are engaging, nice, and good listeners............I shouldn't have to say this, but just to cover myself, but please be polite and respectful, assume these are people who care
who just wandered from a good idea and need help realizing that.

Also let WT know by writing to Chris Glaisek, their VP Planning/Design: cglaisek@waterfrontoronto.ca
I'm not sure who DREAM's point person is on this project, but make sure and reach out to them too, here's the general contact for their residential side:

residentialreitinfo@dream.ca

I guess we blame the feedback from the DRP for this one?
View attachment 577552
The Waterfront DRP, like the regular DRP, is a nonbinding advisory board. DREAM didn't *have* to listen to anything they say.

If anyone genuinely thought we were going to get Version 1 in today's market, you're smoking some strong stuff...

I understand that it's extremely likely the downgrade would have happened regardless of the DRP feedback.

But I don't think it's incorrect to say that the developer technically listened to the DRP's request for a simplified design in this case. They removed color gradations, most of the articulation, the corner curve. Not only that, they did make it more complimentary to the KPMB building across the street: grey bricks! Everything was taken way too far of course.

If all of this would have happened regardless of DRP then it's a pretty unfortunate coincidence, because plenty of their feedback is plainly visible in the downgrade design.
1720200603734.png

It's not complimentary when it will standout like a sore thumb. Conversely, there is nothing wrong with contrasting if done in good taste. Ultimately, it should be both interesting and inviting even with a simplified design. Dream, et al, have failed in all 3 counts here, IMO.

Back