Toronto West Condos | 46.51m | 14s | Aspen Ridge | Core Architects

1542326648137.png

The Coffin Factory Funeral

Funerals are typically reserved for people in our lives who have died, but this weekend, a mourning ceremony is being held for one of Toronto's most beloved historic properties.

On Saturday afternoon, a funeral procession and ceremony including a casket, candle vigil, and wake, will travel up Tecumseth and down Niagara Streets to bid farewell to the Coffin Factory as we know it today.

The cluster of buildings at 89-109 Niagara St. built in the 1880s has long been slated to become home to a pair of new condos.

Designed to jut out of the southern portion of the heritage structure, the new residential tower project from Aspen Ridge called West will add 288 new condo units to the 80 existing live-work artists studios already there.

In the process, scores of residents—some who have lived in the Coffin Factory Studios for nearly 30 years, and many of them musicians, craftspeople, fine artists, and performers—have been evicted to make way for heavy restoration of the old development.

"There’s a feeling of helplessness," says Vanessa Rieger, a multi-disciplinary artist who has lived in the Coffin Factory for seven years.

"It's very upsetting and frustrating as a tenant, I can see other tenants struggling to find other places to live."

All remaining residents are expected to vacate the building by April 1.

Though some lucky residents might be able to move back into one of the rent-controlled units offered once construction is complete, there'll only be around 20 units available.
More..... https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-toronto/2019/03/torontos-historic-coffin-factory-getting-funeral/

An eventful weekend in the community - on the one hand, move in and opening day for the King Portland centre tenants - Indigo and Shopify and their staff, on the other hand, a much less joyful occasion - the final weekend for moves out from the Coffin Factory buildings - to be vacated by Monday, April 1. A number of tenants have already left, their suites emptied, and the windows have been boarded up. Saturday and Sunday are going to be sad and emotional days for the remaining tenants of this once vibrant and tight community make their final departures.

Tuesday, July 9.

Interior clean out of the West site, prior to the actual demolition of the low rise extensions of the main Coffin Factory building, going south from the east and west south sides of the main structure, has been underway for several days. Recyclable metal components - ducts, conduit, cabling, etc. - are being stripped out and removed via the dark blue bins that can be seen in the photo below.

IMG_20190709_101727.jpg

Reactions: PMT
Apparently, there are still people living in the building fighting the developers. I saw it on City TV and inquired about it. Looks like construction could be delayed until they can sort out the situation.

Is this how Aspen Ridge does business? Illegally kicking 13 year tenants without proper notice and compensation?
Not confident that they will give a shit about their buyers afterwards

Is this how Aspen Ridge does business? Illegally kicking 13 year tenants without proper notice and compensation?
Not confident that they will give a shit about their buyers afterwards
Yes it's bad business indeed. It effects the buyers too as I'm assuming construction and delivery date will be delayed also which could cost buyers a lot of money if the market goes down.

I have my doubts the tenants did not receive proper notice. I've seen it too many times where developers have done what is required and the tenants just refuse to leave. I don't have the time or interest to delve deeper into this situation..It just doesn't make sense The media is always available for the plight of bleeding hearts too.

Back