Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

when they are making such a big deal about saving and refurbishing the historic building, you'd think that would be one time when the apartments above should indeed be remarkable. otherwise, all the efforts put into saving the heritage component seem pointless. amazing heritage building with a pile of crap on top. such a waste and missed opportunity here. they should have designed something interesting and done it in black which would compliment the orange brick and look a lot classier.

Would you prefer nothing at all?

The derrick to remove the crane from this tower has been up for a while. The crane on the other tower cane down weeks ago. Two possibilities come to mind: (i) a rooftop / mechanical penthouse piece of equipment requiring a lift is late for delivery, has not arrived from a supplier, or (ii) a previously delivered piece was defective, cannot be repaired on site and needs to be replaced. Either way (or for whatever else the cause might be), someone must be eating some costs on this one.

20200209_102740.jpg

Are they going to plant any street trees? I believe the side walk is quite narrow here but some greenery would be great.

Last I heard was August but that was a couple of months back (from people involved in the new store)

Huh. Love the geometric patterning (- on interior windows, or simply a wall decoration?) meant for impressing passersby outside, as seen through the south windows.

According to the architectural plans, there are no interior windows -- these are essentially deep shadow boxes. That's disappointing, but I'm glad that they're making the best of a bad situation by adding some texture inside.

Beautiful restoration of the heritage building, bland and boring and a missed opportunity on the tower to align the architecture to be art deco for the complex.
Can't expect too much from Concord Adex with so many issues in CityPlace

According to the architectural plans, there are no interior windows -- these are essentially deep shadow boxes. That's disappointing, but I'm glad that they're making the best of a bad situation by adding some texture inside.

That takes the heritage facade preservation project down a notch in my opinion. An important part of any good preservation project is adapting the old to the demands of the new. If you can't even adapt the windows of the old facade to the new building, you haven't done enough in my opinion.

Back