Toronto West Block Est. 1928, The LakeShore, and The LakeFront | 130.75m | 41s | Choice Properties | a—A

ten_eighteen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is happening, or what the latest news is on the building on the North East corner of Bathurst and Lake Shore? I know at one point it was supposed to be developed into a Loblaws Superstore, but to my understanding the only new Loblaws that are in the plans to open up is the one at Maple Leaf Gardens.

So... is anything going to pop up there, or is it going to remain as is for the time being?

re: Bathurst/Lake Shore - Loblaws, or what?

such a project would take a lot of cash and loblaws is a bit strapped these days.

it's sad because the building is beautiful and many condos in the area are coming along.

i think i also remember adam vaughan mentioning something about the bathurst bridge/street re-grading and how this might hold things up.

I don't think this proposal was ever ment to be built now with most of the surrounding development still in the design stage

While their stock has dropped a little lately, Loblaws definitely still has lots of cash and can certainly build new stores. The main problem is the advertising billboard on the roof. The city wants them to take it down if they renovate the building, while they want to keep it. I think this is quietly working through the system and once it gets approval, construction will start quite soon.

I could see this being more attractive now; there is low income housing going into the railyards area when Fort York Blvd is extended. I hope they dont make it a no frills though.

If it gets built, it will be a flagship type location for Loblaws - it will cost them too much not to go all-out here - they'll be spending money to make money. Thousands of residential units have gone in, and are going in, in the area - a relatively small percentage are low income.

With Sobey's going in at the Neo/Montage site, it would be interesting to see if Loblaws would still go ahead and open a location here. If both are opened up the area will be really saturated with the other Loblaws on Queens Quay and Dominion at Liberty Village.

I'd love to see the sign vanish, too.
In a funny way, it'd be a shame to see *a* sign vanish--well, only insofar as there's always been a rooftop signboard there (going back to neon Loblaws days)

I might even understand if they want to resurrect some old-time neon there...

Back