Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

And from at least two decades before, from the north:

s1465_fl0390_it0019.jpg

I will have to disagree. I don't find this style or these washed out "colours" very appealing. It's ok. It just looks very... baby boomer appropriate. Kids have all moved out, not ready for a retirement home, don't want to move to Florida, getting tired of Richmond Hill/ Oakville. Why not downsize and live in a tasteful bay street condo.
That's the message Opera Place gives me when I walk by.
I'm not judging.
It's just not my thing.

Even if you don't like its features, it contributes variety in terms of colour and architectural styles along Bay Street. It makes the street less monotonous, which can be a problem in areas dominated by one style of building like CityPlace and St. James Town.

Wow, that throwback photo really makes you realize how much Bay has changed. I don't even recognize half of those buildings between Wellesley and College, and I'm not that young

Oops. Right. Sorry.

This project is certainly going to be a focal point for the area between Bay and Yonge - it is massive, and will fill out the area quite nicely. I have a question though: are there any plans for the huge parking lot on the left side of the above photo? Along with the holes on Yonge in this area caused by all the recent development, it really adds to the general feeling that something is missing in the urban fabric here.

The thread you want for the parking lot site is this one. Nothing new in the last year.

The thread you want for the parking lot site is this one. Nothing new in the last year.

Thanks i42. However, reading that thread makes me very curious about who the rumoured US architect was! Given all the proposals on Yonge, I would hope that the developer takes advantage of the market right now to move that project forward - it must be one of the largest parking lots not in the development pipeline downtown, now that 88 Queen East is moving.

I must say I didn't spend much time near this area until I started working nearby recently, and I am excited by all the new projects.Yes, Yonge is losing some of its seedy charm, but I was never drawn to many of the shops. Yonge never moved past that to house interesting, quirky retail like Queen West - the gentrification just forgot that phase on Yonge.

As for Wellesley on the Park, that area will be quite nice with the Britt getting redone and the park to the south of Breadbane. I hope that St. Nicholas street can become a model alley for Toronto - it's shaping up to be a lot better than most with Five nearing completion.

Back