Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

Queens Park isn't that far away.

That really doesn't have anything to do with my point. This doesn't have to be a park (nor did I really want it to be obe), but a public square or some other kind of event space. The point is that there were a lot of opportunities to do something interesting here given that it's a big lot in the middle of the city. Now it will just be condos.

I hope we get more park area too out of this - the problem with small parks or "parkettes" while nice, they really aren't that useful as a park per se - you have a few benches a path or two for people to walk on; some green area for dogs to pee on (don't get be wrong I love dogs but there needs to be a proper dog run area in this neighourhood) and that's about it. This is why its so dissapointing.
What kind of park are locals hoping to get in this area?

I don't get teh obsession with a park? There is already a small park right across the street on Breadalbane where teh YMCA is. Besides, all parks are good for downtown are attracting the homeless, who set up residence.

The site is very large, close to the subway. There is no reason something as large or larger than Aura could not go here.

I don't get teh obsession with a park? There is already a small park right across the street on Breadalbane where teh YMCA is. Besides, all parks are good for downtown are attracting the homeless, who set up residence.

Parks downtown are an essential place for urbanites to relax, play, walk a dog, grab a few rays, reconnect with nature, socialize etc., it's a wacky to suggest that parks are only for homeless folks, though some parks do have a homeless population and so what? Where else do you suggest they go after they are bounced from a shelter during the day?

I just think a park in this case in not needed. There is enough greenspace very close with Queen's Park and the Y park. I will be curious what Lanterra will end up building here. Probably yet another Murano Burano clone, unfortunately. With a space this large, there is an opportunity to make something really significant and add in some desperately needed street level retail at the same time on Breadalbane.

My ideal: One tower that is avant-garde and worthy of being called a landmark, that has no balconies and lots of curves as opposed to another square glass box. Say 120 storeys or so.

I just think a park in this case in not needed. There is enough greenspace very close with Queen's Park and the Y park. I will be curious what Lanterra will end up building here. Probably yet another Murano Burano clone, unfortunately. With a space this large, there is an opportunity to make something really significant and add in some desperately needed street level retail at the same time on Breadalbane.

My ideal: One tower that is avant-garde and worthy of being called a landmark, that has no balconies and lots of curves as opposed to another square glass box. Say 120 storeys or so.

Riiiiiiiiight

i dont know. I have yet to see a curved building in this town that was any good.

It's decent but not really a huge site when you consider where the property line is with Morguard's apartment building/underground parking. I like some of Lanterra's developments - Murano, Burano & now Ice is sure looking promising. I'm willing to bet that a deal will be worked out here for height in exchange for some green space, which is better than nothing and a good location for tall buildings. Ideally, two towers along Wellesley St. (hopefully with some retail) and then a small parkette along the Breadalbane side.

^The Met buildings on Carlton are quite nice too. Love looking at them when I walk past.

Back