Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

I'd personally like something along these lines, with a pedestrian courtyard w/ shops facing it and a park in the middle of it. A gated park with an entrance that can be locked at night would make it safer and cleaner/easier to maintain, and it's a great place to have lunch or just sit down and relax in the middle of a city. Picture here of the fence it has around it.

Maybe TV has ruined my imagination but I really don't see how anything close to those desires would work within the existing framework. The west side faces the backside of apartment towers and the east side faces the backside of retail buildings. The site isn't wide enough to add additional front facing retail buildings, sidewalks, and a worthwhile gated green space either.

Today Council passed Councillor Wong-Tam's motion to begin discussions with the Ontario Government to create a new park at 11 Wellesley.

I'm pretty confused,

after seeing the render on the homepage showing 2 towers built on the east end of the site, what's all this talk about this green space park?.. are there gonna be towers or not?

steveve:

The rendering is for potential development - there are no concrete plans for the site right now. The outcome will depend on the talks between the province and the city - and beyond that, with any potential developer of the site.

AoD

steveve:

The rendering is for potential development - there are no concrete plans for the site right now. The outcome will depend on the talks between the province and the city - and beyond that, with any potential developer of the site.

AoD

do u have a response for me also please

This could end up being a land swap so with an MPP on board working to get this park for the city it could help steer a deal for the property. It probably also depends how badly the province wants the money for the property, no doubt it's worth a small fortune. We should know by the end of the summer where things are with this as KWT keeps her twitter & FB followers in the loop really well about things going on in her ward.

This could end up being a land swap so with an MPP on board working to get this park for the city it could help steer a deal for the property. It probably also depends how badly the province wants the money for the property, no doubt it's worth a small fortune. We should know by the end of the summer where things are with this as KWT keeps her twitter & FB followers in the loop really well about things going on in her ward.

KWT and Ward 27 are sitting on pretty large pots of s37 and s45 funds. Combine those funds with Toronto Parking Authority funds and MPP Murray who is, I believe supportive of the park, and this could come to shape. No guarantees though.

Okay, I'm starting to dominate this thread, but this article in the NYT this weekend is quite appropriate to this discussion:

In Urban Parks, Our Newly Lush Life by Frank Bruni

quotes:

WHENEVER you doubt that the future can improve upon the past or that government can play a pivotal role in that, consider and revel in the extraordinary greening of New York.

This city looks nothing — nothing — like it did just a decade and a half ago. It’s a place of newly gorgeous waterfront promenades, of trees, tall grasses and blooming flowers on patches of land and peninsulas of concrete and even stretches of rail tracks that were blighted or blank before. It’s a lush retort to the pessimism of this era, verdant proof that growth remains possible, at least with the requisite will and the right strategies.

“It represents a great example because it’s our largest urban area in America,” said Ken Salazar, the United States secretary of the interior, on the phone Friday, suggesting that if the Big Apple can carve out green amid its gray, any city can. Salazar plans to visit New York on Tuesday to address an international conference, already under way, called “Greater & Greener: Re-Imagining Parks for 21st Century Cities.”

The New York story is a national one. In the center of Oklahoma City, a revitalized park complex, Myriad Botanical Gardens, recently took root. In downtown Houston, there’s Discovery Green. Dallas is building a park on a deck over a downtown freeway, and Los Angeles is looking at how to gussy and green up an old concrete river bed.

“We’re living in an era of re-urbanization,” said Catherine Nagel, executive director of the City Parks Alliance, which is sponsoring the conference in New York. And the increased population density means that “we need green space,” she said.

Amazingly, we’re getting it: because citizens have demanded as much; because governments have made it a priority; because public and private partnerships have been cultivated. New York is the bright flower of all that.

by whom? MPAC? because if so then MPAC's number is not "close" - it never is.

lmao. I work at MPAC, and that is not the value that the site has currently. We are talking current assessment which is a base year of 2008 vs. the highest and best use value. Two totally different values. I can't say what the value is, but it was not 58mill at least when I checked the value earlier today. I don't work in biz property dept, but i can assure you that 58 mill is not the value, and i can also assure you that MPAC most of the time gets the value within the 5% acceptable range. Not saying its perfect, but getting the assessment correct does happen despite what people think. If anything MPAC's values are more often low than high. We usually come in 5% under the real CVA a property would achieve if sold on the open market.

Disclaimer: I have only worked there for a couple of years, and am still working on single family houses, but I do have most of the AIC's AACI program under my belt so I do have some idea of what I am talking about. The 58 million could be a direct cap value of future potential NOI if it ended up being a commercial property. Not totally sure though.

Last edited:

Back