Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

they arent neccessary for the ferries, but would provide a nice large piece of land for a public square or other "iconic" structure at the foot of Yonge, which many agree should be there.

It's the at the foot of Toronto's most notable and principal commercial street, and a geographic point in the city where east and west come together at the lakefront. But I'm sure there are many that would say 'big deal' I suppose.

I wonder how and when this east/west construct originated? Does it serve enough practical purpose, or hold enough symbolic value nowadays that it needs to be celebrated with a big flashy iconic lakeside marker? Yonge and Queen's Quay isn't terribly symbolic in the practical sense like the GMT thing at Greenwich, for instance. Though, that said, perhaps Sir Sandford Fleming could be memorialised more effectively in our town ...

Globe and Mail

Here's a little feature of Pier27 from Friday's Globe and Mail. It says 30% of land use will be open public space. Starting price of a 700 sq/ft unit is $400,000. Read on...

WATERFRONT: Resort-style project going on sale
SYDNIA YU

From Friday's Globe and Mail

To be built on one of Toronto's last waterfront residential sites, about 300 units of a resort-style condominium will be put on the market early next month. Called Pier 27, it's being constructed by Cityzen Development Group and Fernbrook Homes.

The nine-acre site off Queens Quay East, between Yonge Street and the Redpath Sugar property, is zoned for up to 1.5 million square feet of residential development plus ground-floor retail space. But about 30 per cent of the property will be open public space landscaped with green trees, bushes and gardens.

"Pier 27 is not going to be a massive concrete wall separating the rest of Toronto from one of the most beautiful natural attractions, the lake and its islands," Fernbrook president Danny Salvatore says. "One of the top priorities was to design and site all buildings in such a way as to preserve sight lines," he adds, "and to have them act as a link, not a barrier to the lake."

Peter Clewes of architectsAlliance designed phase one — two 12-storey, glass and steel buildings topped off with a three-storey bridge. The latter portion of the structure will contain unique "through" suites, "so you have a city view and you also have a lake view," sales manager Andy Kowalsky says.In the complex over all, there will be a wide selection of floor plans, from one-bedroom suites with 700-square-feet of space to 4,000-square-foot penthouses with three bedrooms and a den.

Enlarge Image
Latest Comments
Start a conversation on this story

Related Zones
No related zones for this article.
On the ground level, two-storey units will face the water and have private patios and a second-level door that leads to the elevator to the garage.

All units will have open kitchens, bedrooms that are separated for privacy, and at least one balcony or terrace. Six appliances will also be included.

Interior features will include 10-foot ceilings, granite countertops, hardwood floors and broadloom carpeting.

Residents will have access to a games room, theatre, gym, spa, whirlpool tub, and indoor and outdoor pools.A round-the-clock concierge and valet parking will also be available.

The site is only steps from the Martin Goodman Trail, streetcars heading to the subway and Union Station.

There is a Loblaws, liquor store and restaurants across the street, and other attractions within walking distance include Harbourfront and the Air Canada Centre.

Phase one is slated for completion in about 2-1/2 years.

Pier 27
BUILDERS/DEVELOPERS: Cityzen Development Group and Fernbrook Homes
SIZE: 700 to 4,000 square feet
PRICE: starting at $400,000
CONTACT: To register, phone (416) 690-7727 or visit www.pier27.ca

Does it serve enough practical purpose, or hold enough symbolic value nowadays that it needs to be celebrated...

Well, yeah...it's our main street.

...with a big flashy iconic lakeside marker?

Who says it or iconic must be flashy? I'm not calling for some huge monument that's crazier than Alsop's OCAD, I just think if the proposed de facto townhouses on the waterfront and Yonge are the best this city can come up with, I'll lose a lot of faith in the entire redevelopment process down there...when the West Don Lands really get going, faith will return, though, I'm sure. Maybe the Pier 27 'townhouses' are topped by a better than average condo, but it could be built on top of anything.

The photo above is correct.
A sales centre is being created and some hoarding has started to go up.
This site is on the water/south side of the street (Queen's Quay Blvd. East) and is the former Avro site, known as MT27.
The TWCR tried to buy it once but failed and Redpath Sugar can stop or force design changes to the condo plan.

The sales centre is about to officially open- Monday or Tuesday. I was able to walk through it today but there was only a security person there.

Anyhow, the building looks spectacular. Also, the suites are large and hence it will be very high end. Let's see if they will sell. Other buildings have tried this formula on the waterfront and it didn't work. They had to re-configure for smaller suites.

Also, it appears as if purchasers might be able to buy a boat slip.

Iconic buildings can enliven any old site. What's so remarkable about the point where Yonge meets the lake?

For me it's fairly arbitrary. One can choose to view the intersection of what is arguably the city's central and most important thoroughfare with the waterfront as something significant, or view it as just another north/south corridor ending abruptly at a condo on the lake. In a similar way - and I am stretching here, I freely admit - Napolean could have chosen to ignore the Carousel arch, the Tuileries gardens and the Louvre when laying out the Champs Elysees, the Etoile and the Arch of Triumph, and Paris would no doubt have survived. It's really just a matter of whether one sees these things as important or interesting or not. For me, I like these kinds of stories and gestures in urban planning, and I think the vista from the lake up Yonge is one that is quite special. I would like to have seen some 'mise en valeur' at this site (beyond that which is private and commercial), and I would love to see Pier 27-type projects along the waterfront too.

For me it's fairly arbitrary. One can choose to view the intersection of what is arguably the city's central and most important thoroughfare with the waterfront as something significant, or view it as just another north/south corridor ending abruptly at a condo on the lake.

Yonge Street is not arguably the city's central and most important thoroughfare, it is the city's central and most important thoroughfare.

Another way to look at the whole thing is to decide if Harbour Square and the Westin hotel effectively kill the waterfront or not. Pier 27 will do effectively nothing to extend the touristy/parkland/retail/promenade waterfront eastward, but if the waterfront is already dead by the time it gets this far east, then it doesn't matter, and the foot of Yonge can be eaten up by exclusive townhomes.

Yonge Street isn't what it used to be. Take the young people ( please! ) for instance - now they've got clubland and Queen West as their first choices. When I was their age ( groan! ) all we had was the world's longest street when we wanted to get wasted or buy tight trousers.

As the downtown rejuvenates, other streets have also developed their own niche shopping and entertainment markets where none existed before: Little Italy, Gay Willage, that bolus of Greek eateries on the Danny, Harbourfront, you name it ...

Today was the grand opening of the Pier 27 sales office. I did register to get first access to the units (I wasn't interested in buying one though), but yet I did not get an invitation as promised. I have found this to be the case with other new condo developments as well. Like everything else in this city...it is who you know that counts.

Anyhow, just to get people fuming even more about Pier 27....I saw this evening, a Ferrari, a Lambourghini and 2 Porsches parked at the sales center (and I could not see all of the cars!)

Back