Toronto Waterlink at Pier 27 | 43.89m | 14s | Cityzen | a—A

I agree with Junctionist. The lack of a grand public space at the foot of Yonge feels like an oversight, and all the more so given all the development going to happen in the immediate area.

Well there is a large public square at the foot of Yonge, but it certainly isn't grand. Does anyone know if there are plans for that? Once the rest of the area is fixed up, it's going to look sad and out of place.

Are there any grand public spaces in all of Toronto? Sure, we have some nice parks and decent public squares but I haven't seen anything spectacular or grand. We certainly don't have anything that can compare to the world's best, that's for sure. I'd love to see a world class public space at the foot of Yonge but I don't think Toronto has the gumption to spend the kind of money and creativity it takes to build grand public spaces. Look at the shit they built at Harbourfront called "Canada Square" and "Ontario Square". Nothing about those public squares is grand and they certainly do not live up to those names. What other proud city would name a public square after your own country and then build something that underwhelming? Sadly, probably, only us. Most other countries have too much pride to do something like that. Pride is something we greatly lack in this city, which explains the rusty, old, electrical poles and wires on our downtown streets. Let's face it, grand we are not but hopefully, one day that will change. You gotta have hope.

Are there any grand public spaces in all of Toronto? Sure, we have some nice parks and decent public squares but I haven't seen anything spectacular or grand. We certainly don't have anything that can compare to the world's best, that's for sure. I'd love to see a world class public space at the foot of Yonge but I don't think Toronto has the gumption to spend the kind of money and creativity it takes to build grand public spaces. Look at the shit they built at Harbourfront called "Canada Square" and "Ontario Square". Nothing about those public squares is grand and they certainly do not live up to those names. What other proud city would name a public square after your own country and then build something that underwhelming? Sadly, probably, only us. Most other countries have too much pride to do something like that. Pride is something we greatly lack in this city, which explains the rusty, old, electrical poles and wires on our downtown streets. Let's face it, grand we are not but hopefully, one day that will change. You gotta have hope.

Well, I'd say NPS and High Park stand up as a very grand public space and beautiful park, but whatever. Why would you want a public square at the foot of Yonge? Other than symbolism, it's a terrible place for a public park, cramped, and with Harbourfront in one direction, Sugar/Sherbourne in the other direction.

Also -- and this is just a pet peeve, I know -- why does EVERY LAST LITTLE RANT ABOUT THIS CITY come down to electrical wires. What has this site got about overhead wires? They're just NOT THAT BIG A DEAL.

I feel better now. Thanks for that.

I'm with Torontovibe on this one.

A public space at the foot of Yonge would have spectacular views, not just over the water to the islands (obviously) but northwards up the Yonge Street canyon... and a design feature here with presence would be a focal point towards the water too (looking down Yonge, for example).

As for the overhead wires I never miss an opportunity to bash them, it's my policy. I can't help it they annoy me and need to be shamed out of existence.

Guys, those can't be covered (per Enbridge's requirements). They are natural gas regulators and they need to be in the open air in the event of pressure buildup - they are ALL over the city, and visible 99% of the time. They're one of those things that are "hiding in plain sight". Like others have said - if they're directly to the north of the first phase then they're going to be blocked by the next phase. Nothing to get up-in-arms about.

I'm pretty sure a trellis over them wouldn't prevent an unexpected pressure buildup to be released , sheeeze.

In a city so concerned with chasing down phantom 'gravy,' I'd be interested to know how any of you propose to allocate precious budget dollars to burying our extensive above-grade electrical infrastructure.

(Perhaps this discussion should be moved to an 'Electrical Infrastructure' thread if there is one (?).

I think the very first step is recognizing it is an issue, rather than turning our heads as if they don't exist or deluding ourselves that they're charming.

Then, it's about eliminating them little by little when a logical opportunity presents itself, i.e. during road construction or utility upgrades/repairs etc. Yes, funding is an issue but personally i'd rather see contributions from section 37 benefits go on infrastructure/public realm improvements like this - as one possible funding option, for example - than on token art projects (yes, some are better than others I know).

The network is indeed extensive but not all areas need to be prioritized the same, the main downtown thoroughfares and tourist areas (in the broadest sense) would be a good starting point, at the very least.

The simple answer: we'll spend $ because people want reliable power. The gravy folks will be the first to complain in an outage. Just come up with some pricing scheme that works for people.

Well, I'd say NPS and High Park stand up as a very grand public space and beautiful park, but whatever. Why would you want a public square at the foot of Yonge? Other than symbolism, it's a terrible place for a public park, cramped, and with Harbourfront in one direction, Sugar/Sherbourne in the other direction.

Also -- and this is just a pet peeve, I know -- why does EVERY LAST LITTLE RANT ABOUT THIS CITY come down to electrical wires. What has this site got about overhead wires? They're just NOT THAT BIG A DEAL.

I feel better now. Thanks for that.

High Park and NPS? Really? Sorry but they are not my idea of spectacular, grand or even near the world's best. They are actually pretty ordinary public spaces. You need to up your expectations. We are never going to become a top tier city with those standards.

And speaking of world cities, what major city has ugly electrical wires with dilapidated poles on a main street, in a high profile, shopping/tourist district? Off hand, I can't think of any that I've seen in my world travels. (besides third world countries like Vietnam and Thailand)

I understand having those ugly wires/poles in a third world city but not in a first world city.

High Park and NPS? Really? Sorry but they are not my idea of spectacular, grand or even near the world's best. They are actually pretty ordinary public spaces. You need to up your expectations. We are never going to become a top tier city with those standards.

And speaking of world cities, what major city has ugly electrical wires with dilapidated poles on a main street, in a high profile, shopping/tourist district? Off hand, I can't think of any that I've seen in my world travels. (besides third world countries like Vietnam and Thailand)

I understand having those ugly wires/poles in a third world city but not in a first world city.

Make this your sig, then you wouldn't have to repeat it so often ..

The mentions of above-ground hydro wires from the usual suspects are tiring, the references to 3rd-world cities are just misplaced and borderline offensive.

Back