Toronto Waterfront Innovation Centre | 53.03m | 11s | Waterfront Toronto | Sweeny &Co

340150EF-6548-4D3E-824B-772FC738889B.jpeg

I guess they can't get those cantilevers to work sans-posts.

My dream is that in future George Brown or Université de l'Ontario Français (UOF) out grow their current space and rent this building out instead. At least we'd then lose the crappy "Innovation Centre" name!

My dream is that in future George Brown or Université de l'Ontario Français (UOF) out grow their current space and rent this building out instead. At least we'd then lose the crappy "Innovation Centre" name!

I think with MaRS locating in this building there will be plenty of innovation occurring in this building.

Innovation Centre is just a branding/marketing ploy - I don't know if they'll even put up the name on the building. There are lots of buildings in Toronto with bombastic names like The Icon that don't look anything like their namesakes. I think the disappointment here stems from the earlier proposal (the one that supposedly looks too similar to the Ryerson Student Centre) compared to the present buildings.

Let us all not forget that this is truly the star of downtown. The innovation centre has nothing on this.

1614874928524.png

It's really not a big cantilever, I'm surprised they didn't transfer it out. Probably a $$$ issue.
Then I'll rephrase that it's not they can't get those cantilevers to work sans-posts, they just won't. /sigh

Last edited:
Is that The Icon? How truly iconic (for a town of 5,000 in Saskatchewan).
That building, ridiculously, was marketed as The Star of Downtown. It was (one of?) the first project(s) here by Norstar, a Buffalo-based developer, and was thoroughly roasted on UrbanToronto for years.

Norstar forgot they weren't in Buffalo anymore. It would've been the star of downtown in Buffalo.
Awwww, nooooo!!!! Buffalo actually has some gorgeous old buildings downtown that we could only dream of, like the Louis Sullivan-designed Prudential (Guaranty) Building.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudential_(Guaranty)_Building#Ornamentation

Buffalo has its issues, but I have a soft spot for it, tend to stick up for its better points, and am glad that it's coming back from the brink.

Back