Toronto Waterfront Innovation Centre | 53.03m | 11s | Waterfront Toronto | Sweeny &Co

The street level facade on QQ is better than the previous iteration, but everything else is vastly worse. Why does this need 3 radically different redesigns?

This is so bland it's not worthy of comment except that it will be on a prime piece of land. I was surprised at the negative comments for the initial design which I thought was very interesting. Now what do you have to say naysayers!

This is so bland it's not worthy of comment except that it will be on a prime piece of land. I was surprised at the negative comments for the initial design which I thought was very interesting. Now what do you have to say naysayers!

The design was derivative (if not borderline plagarism) before, now it's just pure junk. Honestly - look at the eastern portion of the building - it looked like someone chopped off 2/3 of the tower portion of One York, plopped it down and call it a day.

Kill this project - the whole thing is a farce.

AoD

The first one was never an actual design - it was only an entry in the design competition.

And the 2nd design was rejected by the WT DRP as discussed on Page 11 and in the minutes of that meeting here - http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/wdrp_minutes_oct_2015_final_1.pdf

There was a Panel consensus that there is an opportunity to push the envelope much further, it’s an Innovation Centre and should be the most Innovative building in Toronto.

Hah, they received this feedback and instead made one of the most boring designs in the city. Hoping it can be rejected again.

It's been like that for awhile now. It was only a matter of time until the render(s - there are more) got released and the outrage was unleashed.

I agree though, it's better to have the site sit empty for awhile than to try an pass this nonsense off as a future centre of 'innovation' (though that's largely just hollow and empty corporatespeak in the first place).

Here we go:

30cvxqd.jpg

dqk5ea.jpg

Attachments

• 30cvxqd.jpg
    30cvxqd.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 929
  • dqk5ea.jpg
    dqk5ea.jpg
    469.2 KB · Views: 1,106
It's been like that for awhile now. It was only a matter of time until the render(s - there are more) got released and the outrage was unleashed.

I agree though, it's better to have the site sit empty for awhile than to try an pass this nonsense off as a future centre of 'innovation' (though that's largely just hollow and empty corporatespeak in the first place).

And they don't seem any better.

What, if anything, can UTers do to stop WT and the Design Review Panel from building this pile of shite?

complain online

From the initial RFQ on page one of the thread:
It will also showcase integrated architecture and green building design to demonstrate global leadership in sustainability and design excellence, setting a precedent in terms of smart and sustainable architecture.

I think we can call it for what it turned out to be. This is what design excellence looked like - much less precedent setting architecture?

AoD

Back