Vaughan VMC South Block B4 | 99.5m | 21s | SmartCentres | 3XN

Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
VMC South Block B4: a proposed 21, 20, 20, 17, 14, 12 & 8-storey mixed-use residential, office & retail development designed by 3XN for SmartCentres REIT on the north side of Highway 7, west of Millway Avenue, east of Edgeley Boulevard and south of New Park Place in Vaughan Metropolitan Centre.

The first phase, known as the Gateway Building, is a proposed 20-story office tower located directly adjacent to the VMC subway station on TTC's Line 1.

Visuals from the DRP Presentation of November 30:
15.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

10.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

2.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Why such relatively low density right next to the subway? There are much taller buildings in VMC farther away from the station.

Last edited:
I imagine it's to keep shadows small on the park to the north, but yes, surprising to see the low densities here.

And if the intent is to minimize shadows on the park, why stick the shorter buildings on the block adjacent to Hwy 7 and not the park block? The block looks likes it needs to be flipped with the office building and residential buildings stepping down to the park, not the other way around.

Proposals like this makes me wonder why Smartcentres looks to build drab in Toronto, when they've shown much more of a willingness to spend bank and have strong builds and proposals in Vaughan.

I wonder:

1) what's the point of "New Park Road", and

2) why such a large paved space between the north block and south block buildings? This might feel very empty and windswept as designed.

Otherwise, not bad.

As far as the commercial element goes, I wonder if it is actually meant for an institutional use?

A BlogTO article said that Smartcentres has its head office on this property so it would likely take a portion of the office building.

Despite the interesting profiles of the buildings and massing, it looks so monotonous. It desperately needs changes in colour from building to building.
some cohesiveness can provide some degree visual interest as seen in most of Paris, where uniformity is done very well, for example. I disagree. I think this is a steal personally.

Back