Toronto Via Bloor | 138.37m | 46s | Tridel | a—A

Hey, you can doubt all you want, too! Guess we'll see what happens, won't we. Neither one of us has a crystal ball.

You don't need a crystal ball. The site is on the periphery of a developed area surrounded by green space. That's never going to change regardless of what the future holds for the remaining heritage blocks of North St Jamestown or the towers in a park of St Jamestown. You don't need a crystal ball.

Of course it's a development site. Construction hasn't started on the building itself yet. Now is the time to figure out how to make the building successful and apply for any zoning amendments.

An outstanding public realm and interesting business uses could even spur increased interest and investment in the adjacent buildings of St. James Town.

Long past the point of no return. The buildings have been pre-sold and construction is starting soon. I forget. There is a stand only retail building as part of this development. It should be completely customizable although I still say the prospect of the retail ownership allowing something extraordinary is still not very high

Last edited:
So you say.... whatever, man. We'll see how the retail plays out.

Not much a counterpoint there. Also, seems you may be flip flopping from lots of potential for new retail along the strip to the tenants of this specific retail.

Hmmmm... you don't seem to have much ammo left, either - unless you actually think you're doing something substantive here.

Sure hope not!

I've checked, and the horse isn't quite dead yet, so here goes:

These towers are not the only new ones coming to the area. Not super-close, but not too far, 561 Sherbourne is completing at the moment. I assume its rents will be higher than the existing buildings of St. James Town. (It's two words; some people (one guy in the office, not saying who) get worked up when they see 'St. Jamestown'.) Across the street, the Selby is topping out and will be filling up in due course. North of it, Gupta's equally tall Rosedale is starting construction. At the corner of Sherbourne and Howard, there are tall towers approved on either side of the street: a rental to the south, and a condo to the north (Lanterra's looking to sell that site at the moment).

Give it half a dozen years, and there will be thousands more people living nearby, and who knows, maybe we'll soon see plans to infill some of St. James Town itself. I suspect that it may take a while to get busy on this stretch of Bloor, but in the long run, I'm not worried: built it, and the market will come.

Huh, this post is like a mini-'Growth to Watch For' article. I must be preoccupied at the moment…

These towers are not the only new ones coming to the area. Not super-close, but not too far, 561 Sherbourne is completing at the moment. I assume its rents will be higher than the existing buildings of St. James Town. (It's two words; some people (one guy in the office, not saying who) get worked up when they see 'St. Jamestown'.) Across the street, the Selby is topping out and will be filling up in due course. North of it, Gupta's equally tall Rosedale is starting construction. At the corner of Sherbourne and Howard, there are tall towers approved on either side of the street: a rental to the south, and a condo to the north (Lanterra's looking to sell that site at the moment).

Give it half a dozen years, and there will be thousands more people living nearby, and who knows, maybe we'll soon see plans to infill some of St. James Town itself. I suspect that it may take a while to get busy on this stretch of Bloor, but in the long run, I'm not worried: built it, and the market will come.

Huh, this post is like a mini-'Growth to Watch For' article. I must be preoccupied at the moment…

I don't believe 591 Sherbourne is yet approved. I could be wrong though.

Hmmmm... you don't seem to have much ammo left, either - unless you actually think you're doing something substantive here.

Sure hope not!

Sorry to burst your bubble but, no. It's not that interesting. At least I had ammo.

New mixed use infill in and around St Jamestown still doesn't address that Via Bloor will always be on the periphery of development. It's also unlikely continuous retail will ever link up with Via Bloor either with respects to the heritage blocks and the Fire Hall along Bloor. It will be a struggle for sure. It was the right call with going bigger than the norm with the amount of space available. They could at least land a big tenant that draws people in.

Little extreme for what I was trying to convey. You don't get top rents or have top tenants lined up to lease spaces on the periphery. Now that doesn't come from nothing.

In today's Toronto, the closer you are to the city centre - with all of its amenities and convenience - the more people are willing to pay. That's a simple fact. This city is in the midst of redefining itself and the core is experiencing a revitalization. This little part of the world will do fine, notwithstanding the naysayers among us.

Little extreme for what I was trying to convey. You don't get top rents or have top tenants lined up to lease spaces on the periphery. Now that doesn't come from nothing.

Sure, but it's a stated opinion rather than observable fact to say that this is on the periphery; it's not Yorkville, sure, but it's also not Markham.

The notion of what "top tenants" means is also fluid -- I don't think anyone's expecting Chanel to open up here, but that's not what this development needs to be successful.

Coming from an area of the city where developers are quick to propose developments without retail bases even on main streets, I must say that I am pleased this one is getting retail treatment.

At the very least, it makes for more walkable streetscape.

Back