Waterloo UWaterloo Undergraduate Residence | 43.2m | 12s | University of Waterloo | Diamond Schmitt

Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
UWaterloo Undergraduate Residence: a proposed 12-storey student residence designed by Diamond Schmitt Architects and Two Row Architect for The University of Waterloo on the northeast corner of University Avenue West and Seagram Drive on the main campus of the University of Waterloo.
ne_streetview66.jpg

The planned location for the building is in parking lot A across from CMH. There will be one bridge connecting the new building to CMH and a second bridge connecting the new building to Carl Pollock Hall (CPH).

Interior rendering:
atrium_seating56-500x281.jpg

Context of the site location, the current Parking Lot A, via Google Maps satellite view:
1693940802099.png

Submission materials are now live here:

The surface parking lot A will be retained and expanded, from the Urban Design Report:
The proposed development requires approximately 106 car parking spaces. Currently, Parking lot A on the south side of the Site offers a total of 630 parking spaces. The addition of the proposed turnaround and drop-off area for the new building further decreases the capacity of the existing parking lot. To ensure a total of 736 parking spaces, accommodating both the existing demand and the new building’s requirements, an expansion of the parking lot will be necessary. This expansion involves extending the parking lot towards the south and east, towards the LRT and Seagram Drive.

Site Plan:
sp1.jpg

Zoomed-in Site Plan:
a6086166e9cd79e42c8718e2b771a660_Site_Plan_Survey_Elevations-1.jpg

Elevations:
a6086166e9cd79e42c8718e2b771a660_Site_Plan_Survey_Elevations-6.jpg

a6086166e9cd79e42c8718e2b771a660_Site_Plan_Survey_Elevations-7.jpg

a6086166e9cd79e42c8718e2b771a660_Site_Plan_Survey_Elevations-8.jpg

Submission materials are now live here:

The surface parking lot A will be retained and expanded, from the Urban Design Report:

Site Plan:
View attachment 510579

Zoomed-in Site Plan:
View attachment 510575

Elevations:
View attachment 510576
View attachment 510577
View attachment 510578
These are very popular parking lots, but come on. A parking structure would be far more appropriate and give them some more land to work with down the road.

These are very popular parking lots, but come on. A parking structure would be far more appropriate and give them some more land to work with down the road.

In the future they're planning on putting a parking structure on lot C and over towards Phillip St as they slowly redevelop the existing lots but parking lot A isn't going away anytime soon even in the master plan. Within the campus master plan they're planning on converting many of the existing parking lots around Ring Road into new buildings in the future (lots H, M, N, R, L) as well as all of the university owned land between Phillip and Ring Road (Where E5, E6 and E7 currently are) so it will be a very long time before we see parking lot A redeveloped.

...are they? I hardly ever see anyone parked in them
I’ve always found they’re more popular than others for outsiders because most lots on campus are harder to access. Maybe I’m wrong. In any case preserving the parking is odd.

And also, I’ve read the campus’ master plan and I was a bit underwhelmed at the time. Definitely needs an update. I don’t think it’s even up to date with what’s happening on campus today.

Reactions: dkt
I’ve always found they’re more popular than others for outsiders because most lots on campus are harder to access. Maybe I’m wrong. In any case preserving the parking is odd.

And also, I’ve read the campus’ master plan and I was a bit underwhelmed at the time. Definitely needs an update. I don’t think it’s even up to date with what’s happening on campus today.

Lot A is only popular because it's the primary staff parking lot, so a significant portion of professors and staff use it.

The Master plan was from 2007 or 2009 I can't remember exactly, so it's definitely not completely reflective of today but where they planned on new buildings has generally been where new buildings have gone. STC, M3, E6 and E7 are all locations in the master plan where they wanted new buildings. The only building that isn't marked for a future building is where M4 is going to go but they're basically rebuilding an entire wing of DC for it.

Back