Markham UnionCity South | 159.55m | 49s | Metropia | Arcadis

Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
2 University Boulevard (AKA "Metropia South Block"): a proposed 49, 48, 48, 48, 47, 47 & 9-storey residential and parkland development designed by IBI Group for Metropia on the southwest corner of Enterprise Boulevard and University Boulevard, east of the CN-Metrolinx-GO Stoufville Rail Corridor, in Unionville, Markham.

Concept plan from the pre-consultation of 2022:
A100-Site Plan14102022155158730-1.jpg

Good to see a pedestrian bridge over Enterprise Blvd to Metropia's first phase UnionCity development to the north. I assume GO commuters living in phase one will be among the chief users of the bridge on their way to and from Unionville GO station.

I feel like this development (along with the rest of Union City to the north) will really be what starts making the eastern half of Markham Centre feel more complete. Once the university opens next year, this area should get much busier.

2 University Boulevard (AKA "Metropia South Block"): a proposed 49, 48, 48, 48, 47, 47 & 9-storey residential and parkland development designed by IBI Group for Metropia on the southwest corner of Enterprise Boulevard and University Boulevard, east of the CN-Metrolinx-GO Stoufville Rail Corridor, in Unionville, Markham.
I hope these buildings aren't carbon copy of one another. They already have practically same height.

Glad to see more development activity going on around here. I used to service the reflecting pond at Birchmount and Enterprise back in 2016 or so and the entire area was pretty much dead whenever I was there. There seems to be a little bit more going on in the area now, but it was eerily vacant back then.

I’m looking forward to seeing Markham Centre start to fill in more.

An overview of changes:

Previously 5 buildings with 49, 48, 48, 48, 47, 47 & 9-storeys.

Now 2 buildings with 49, 42, 42, 39, 35 & 35-storeys connected by 6-storey amenity podiums.
The height of the 49-storey building is 158.05m.

Total units has decreased from 3520 to 2609.
Total parking has decreased from 2024 to 1690.

Additional massing models from the updated submission:
Computer Generated Building Mass Model, View 3-1.jpg

Computer Generated Building Mass Model, View 2-1.jpg

Tower E (the 49-storey), also appears to have a protruding horizontal crown, not depicted in the massing models above:
A4.1 Elevation Enterprise Blvd-1.jpg

Central building has that outlandish top, feels very silly and twee. On the other hand, I quite like the thin slab massing and lines of the far left tower.
All the towers’ massings aren’t bad at all. I can’t shake the feeling that they don’t feel distinctly GTA like most proposals- I’m getting new build NYC/Chicago vibes, maybe even SE Asian. Maybe it’s the angles and vertical lines- they are also a bit chunky. Might explain the uniquely bad execution on the ground, too; it all screams “we don’t know what things typically look like around here, and this has been good enough elsewhere”.

Back