Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

The problem is no one wants to uses lanes or line up on the TTC at least properly. For example at Spadina they have Ques set up to wait for the streetcars poel only use as mll part of them and them make a line that runs all the way to the westbound subway stairs because they don't want to go through switch back. I think they trid using lanes on a set of stairs for one of the bus platforms at Warden fora little bit but I don't think they ever used it anywhere else,the left side of the stairs was for the back doors and the right side was for the front.
Then give offenders a ticket if they don't follow the rules.

You want to ticket people for not using stairs "properly" or not lining up "properly" good luck with that.

its really down to the culture of riding public transit.
in japan and hk they have lines painted on the platform for where to queue up for the train and everyone respects it amongst other etiquette rules.
for us here most riders have a dgaf mentality towards riding and queuing etiquette

I think the notion of ticketing is just asking for trouble, but I have wondered if directional/situational lighting could be used to "nudge" people into flows without signage or other obvious cues. In a platform doors situation, a bright light could be shone for a few seconds as the train is pulling in and opening its doors to remind people to keep a lane open for exiting passengers, then turning off a few seconds later, replacing the usual hectoring over the PA at Bloor Line 1/from the guard.

I think the notion of ticketing is just asking for trouble, but I have wondered if directional/situational lighting could be used to "nudge" people into flows without signage or other obvious cues. In a platform doors situation, a bright light could be shone for a few seconds as the train is pulling in and opening its doors to remind people to keep a lane open for exiting passengers, then turning off a few seconds later, replacing the usual hectoring over the PA at Bloor Line 1/from the guard.

You don't need to ticket - what you need is public rebuke and opprobium. Nothing work like embarrassment through peer pressure.

AoD

maybe they can look towards painting queue lines and starting a PR campaign to encourage riders to follow it... though it will only work with ATC

You don't need to ticket - what you need is public rebuke and opprobium. Nothing work like embarrassment through peer pressure.

AoD
As someone who takes the subway 8-12 times weekly... I have my doubts that the peers want to exert pressure or that their targets give a damn.

This might be a far fetched idea but here it is: What if the subway trains could project queue lines onto the platform? This would give riders a visual queue on where they should be standing to let people off. Such as having projections of light coming from the side of the train doors. This would not require ATC or platform doors as train to platform coordination wouldn't be required.

This might be a far fetched idea but here it is: What if the subway trains could project queue lines onto the platform? This would give riders a visual queue on where they should be standing to let people off. Such as having projections of light coming from the side of the train doors. This would not require ATC or platform doors as train to platform coordination wouldn't be required.

Its probably going to cost much more than what it will be worth. Since atc is coming anyways, they could look towards painting on the next round of station refurbs. However it will only matter if the public actually buys into the
change in etiquette. public shaming and queue lines work well in asia because society is used to etiquette. In japan public rebuke is a cause for much humiliation both personally and for the family of of the accused but here
as its been mentioned before our society largely DGAF towards this area.

Its probably going to cost much more than what it will be worth. Since atc is coming anyways, they could look towards painting on the next round of station refurbs. However it will only matter if the public actually buys into the
change in etiquette. public shaming and queue lines work well in asia because society is used to etiquette. In japan public rebuke is a cause for much humiliation both personally and for the family of of the accused but here
as its been mentioned before our society largely DGAF towards this area.
The only problem with painting lines on the platforms for ques is what do the blind do how will they know when they are supposed to be?

There's alway going to be those who don't follow proper transit adequate, whether they're disabled or not.
Like the people that run down or up the stairs as the chimes are ringing and don't care if they run into someone because you are in their way as they are trying to get on the train as the doors are closing.

Yes it does.
18 months later and it looks like this. The screen on the right is the info screen you'd usually see hanging from the ceiling at other stations:
DSC_0988.JPG

My guess is they opted to stick it on the wall because the platforms are too narrow and the ceilings are too low.

Attachments

• DSC_0988.JPG
    DSC_0988.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 850

Back