Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

Looking east along the platform in the late 1950s. The new platform was carved out of the wall on the right.
UNION YONGE NB PLTFM L SWANSON 2.jpg

Attachments

• UNION YONGE NB PLTFM L SWANSON 2.jpg
    UNION YONGE NB PLTFM L SWANSON 2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,333
Actually, it was Michael Coteau who spoke on behalf of Steven Del Duca, who wasn't able to be there. Councillor and TTC Chair Josh Colle also spoke, as did artist Stuart Reid.

You can read our front page coverage of the event here, including photos and a video.

Why were Michael Coteau or Del Duca involved in this announcement. Their respective levels of gov't weren't directly involved in the Union Station second platform project, correct?

I'm glad we're improving transit and not roads for once, but man what an incredibly dull, sterile looking reno. They couldn't make the station more boring if they tried. Looks like something done using the lowest cost materials possible.

I'm glad were improving transit and not roads for once, but man what an incredibly dull, sterile looking reno. They couldn't make the station more boring if they tried. Looks like something done using the lowest cost materials possible.

I thought it complemented the materials of Union Station proper well. My regret is that circulation improvements weren't as great as I thought it'd be - the entrance area is still remarkably chaotic during rush (and the mezzanine area invites loiters that disrupts traffic flows).

AoD

I'm glad were improving transit and not roads for once, but man what an incredibly dull, sterile looking reno. They couldn't make the station more boring if they tried. Looks like something done using the lowest cost materials possible.

Ummm... they couldn't make it more boring if they tried?

Have you seen Line 2, where every.single.station looks like this washroom?:

Or the Sheppard Subway?

412152739_a0074cb667_z.jpg

Or the King of blandness, St. Andrew?
standrew-IMG_3308.JPG

Yeah... Union isn't bad at all by TTC standards. It's one of the more interesting stops in the system for sure.

I'm glad we're improving transit and not roads for once, but man what an incredibly dull, sterile looking reno. They couldn't make the station more boring if they tried. Looks like something done using the lowest cost materials possible.

There's a 500 foot-long fairly edgy mural in there. How is that "incredibly dull, sterile looking"?

Why were Michael Coteau or Del Duca involved in this announcement. Their respective levels of gov't weren't directly involved in the Union Station second platform project, correct?

Chretien, Harris and Lastman announced this project back when they were in office....agreed to a 3 way split of costs and promised it would be done on time for the games (2008 Summer Olympic games that is).

Ummm... they couldn't make it more boring if they tried? Have you seen Line 2, where every single station looks like a washroom?

Alright, I stand corrected, they managed to make it AS boring as every other station. What happened to the vibrant colours of the original Yonge line when it was first built?

Oh yeah, I forgot, that makes it WAAAAY better.

union-station-subway-art.jpg

Yikes.

So what exactly qualifies as interesting to you? I have a really hard time believing anyone thinks that the murals are as boring as the Line 2 stations, for example.

Also, try taking a proper look at the art next time you're at the station. Some of the pieces there actually a little humorous. They definitely had me leaving the station with a smile.

The public art in Queen and College stations are great. Rather than some depressing scribbles from an art teacher's sketch pad.

I know it's not to everyone's liking, but I think the art looks great. I shows better in the video than it does in photos as part of its effect is its sheer size and its relationship with that's just beside it (and beyond the view of the photo). Just wondering if you've been into the station to see it haw, or if you're just relying on the photos? (If that's the case, go one step better and watch the video, or two steps better and go see it.)

Oh, and I'd also say that what also works better when you're in the station is the matte and reflective tiles that have been scattered in the walls. I also think that you want a fairly monochromatic look to contrast with the mural, even when you can't see the mural. The minimalism of the rest of the station makes the lushness of the mural work that much more.

Back