Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

Thanks salsa! Interesting that they are putting in some kind of slab with reinforcements underneath the main corridors.

innsertnamehere:

I think the thicker columns are underneath the VIA concourse.

AoD

ah ok, looking at the plans its the middle of the food court by the looks of it. Cool, Thanks!
thanks for the great photos as well salsa.

Hey salsa, where you label that photo "behind this wall is the sidewalk on Bay" is that not York Street behind that wall? Not much has been done over on the Bay Street side yet as far as I know.

there is that huge area between (I believe) platform 13 and 24 that as been blocked off for ages with that little hill of concrete you have to walk over on the way to the ACC that connects it to the main construction site.

Great update. One thing I notice her in Toronto is the lack of escalators compared to other major cities' transit systems. There are a lot of narrow concrete steps. I was hoping for more escalators in the Union rebuild.

escalators are low capacity, you can move more people more quickly using stairs as people don't stop and not move on stairs, while they do on escalators. crowds move at the speed of escalators when they are used, while crowds move at the speed of taking the stairs with stairs, which is slightly faster.

Great update. One thing I notice her in Toronto is the lack of escalators compared to other major cities' transit systems. There are a lot of narrow concrete steps. I was hoping for more escalators in the Union rebuild.

GO Transit has been vehemently anti-escalator for many years. They consider them a maintenance headache.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

GO Transit has been vehemently anti-escalator for many years. They consider them a maintenance headache.

They do have a point in this case - taking out an elevator for service would in essence knock out access for that entire shaft, since there is no space for anything else.

AoD

Hey salsa, where you label that photo "behind this wall is the sidewalk on Bay" is that not York Street behind that wall? Not much has been done over on the Bay Street side yet as far as I know.

You're probably right. Those arches look similar on both streets but I'm less familiar with the York street side, so I thought it was Bay street.

While the Union subway station is naturally a mess with construction, the TTC has a lot of staff directing people to ease the congestion and for some unfathomable reason they seem to actually care about doing a good job. It's like an alternative-universe TTC down there.

Back