Toronto Union Subway Station: Second Platform and Concourse Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC | IBI Group

The limits of the RBC and Royal York buildings shown on the figure, appear to be near the property line. There should be space between the current station box and the property line.

How far south of the property line do you think the existing foundations preclude digging?

An option for a north side platform was looked at and rejected due to space constraints. That's really all I know on the matter.

An option for a north side platform was looked at and rejected due to space constraints. That's really all I know on the matter.
Rejected as an impossibility, or simply being more expensive. There's certainly more room on the south, and with all the auxiliary rooms they are adding, the only possible place. But would the space constraints eliminate any platform, or were simply not the preferred option.

Rejected as an impossibility, or simply being more expensive. There's certainly more room on the south, and with all the auxiliary rooms they are adding, the only possible place. But would the space constraints eliminate any platform, or were simply not the preferred option.

It would be a very thin platform (less than the existing Union central platform) or spilling into RBCs basement.

As much as I'd like to see Union enlarged, I don't think it's happening any time soon. Unless the DRL goes through Union necessitating an expansion.

As much as I'd like to see Union enlarged, I don't think it's happening any time soon. Unless the DRL goes through Union necessitating an expansion.

Construction started February, 2011 by EllisDon Corporation. See this link.

Harry Potter Construction wasn't available.

Last edited:
Can somebody please explain to me why Waterfront Toronto is responsible for redeveloping Union Station? It's not even on the waterfront, (or a part of it) so why are they even associated with it?

Can somebody please explain to me why Waterfront Toronto is responsible for redeveloping Union Station? It's not even on the waterfront, (or a part of it) so why are they even associated with it?
Waterfront Toronto is only involved to the subway station, and not the much bigger Union Station project itself.

Their website states that "The second platform is also needed to accommodate the increased number of passengers who will someday soon live and work in the West Don Lands, East Bayfront and the Port Lands."

Remember, that both the Waterfront East and Waterfront West LRT lines link primarily into the subway station.

The Waterfront starts at Front St. Everything south of Front is either landfill or what used to be a huge railyard. Waterfront Toronto is also involved in the West Donlands redevelopment, which goes as far north along the Don River as Queen.

GF0C4.jpg

Their website states that "The second platform is also needed to accommodate the increased number of passengers who will someday soon live and work in the West Don Lands, East Bayfront and the Port Lands."

Remember, that both the Waterfront East and Waterfront West LRT lines link primarily into the subway station.

Though they do now seem to be moving ahead (starting next spring) on the Queen's Quay west streetcar/LRT line as part of the Queen's Quay redevelopment there is absolutely no further talk of the Queen's Quay EAST line. This was to run from Bay Street to Parliament and, eventually, to the Port Lands. The plan was originally "Transit First" so that people moving to the waterfront (and West Don Lands) would get used to having good transit from Day 1 and not get into the habit of using cars.

Last I heard WT and the TTC are talking about better bus service to Queen's Quay East - though this was rejected in the EA because there is no way to get buses into or even close to Union Station.

Eventually the city will build LRT on Queens Quay East because (a) transit is required, (b) other higher order transit alternates are far more expensive (especially getting to Union Station and building new platforms), or (c) unrealistic (e.g. buses navigating to an entrance to Union Station a reasonable distance to the subway in rush hour traffic). We just need to let the air out of the buffoon. I mean balloon.

Waterfront Toronto is only involved to the subway station, and not the much bigger Union Station project itself.

Waterfront Toronto is one of the most inspiring agencies in planning and revitalization today for such comprehensiveness.

Back