Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I think once they add the shades on the south facade we'll get a pretty interesting "monument" to look at.

South side is the modern entrance, flanked by new structures. The North entrance is our historic monumental entrance with the fantastic columns and the Royal York behind you. It's created a really great conversation within the entire structure! :)

There's no confusion as to where the "front door" to Union Station is located
(that's where you go with your baggage for the VIA train).
The south entrance is really a PATH entrance.
The sign is there for wayfinding (out-of-town hockey fans) more than anything.

Thanks for the pic sMT - the south entrance is truly unfortunate in the lack of presence, reducing a monumental structure in the heart of the city to a rabbit-hole - and I suppose it is the perfect metaphor of the evolution (devolution) in the perception of public infrastructure investments.

AoD

I agree. A precedent exists for monumentalism in the old building and people enjoy that. It feels metropolitan to have that monumental quality, especially if the contemporary architecture is as well detailed in its own style as the old architecture is. A dull grey sign, some glass, and forgettable columns don't even come close to the original Union Station. One would expect some excitement and verve to have the opportunity to add to it. The truly great city must overwhelm with style and substance, not simply say "well, we already have some style to the north, so here we build something low-key". That's only good enough for a second city, not the leading metropolis.

Union Station revitalization forum

For those who may be interested, there will be an exhibit and speaker forum all about Union Station revitalization. The event is at Ontario Science Centre on March 6 beginning at 6pm.

The link is http://www.eiforum.ca for registration.

I am looking forward to some great updates and professional insights on many aspects of this huge project and will be sure to bring my camera.

Today:

roljphg.jpg

vZnEsDa.jpg

Do we know how this project is coming along? It seems rather slow to me, however it could be right on schedule with the timeline. Also any idea when we'll see the initial preparations for the green roof?

Contra:

I think the project has been delayed from 2014 to 2016, according to the Auditor General Metrolinx report:

http://www.auditor.on.ca/en/reports_en/en12/309en12.pdf (p. 19-20 of PDF)

Should have torn that Bush shed down completely instead of eco-lipstick on a pig.

AoD

Theoretically, if the eco roof thing doesn't pan out, they could just build nearly identical roofs on both the east and west side of the roof currently under construction, correct? In essence, creating a single glass roof over the entire platform area. Personally, I think that would look muuuuch better.

Should have torn that Bush shed down completely instead of eco-lipstick on a pig.

Looks like I am one of the few who think the plan as it exists today will end up looking better than extending the glass pavilion over the whole area. I think the plan as it exists strikes a good balance of heritage and modern adjustments and by providing some contrasting elements will be far more visually interesting. My only concern is the freight elevators and the heritage stairways... I wish they had some more renderings of how they expect that to look. It is just a shame that they haven't been a little more efficient in getting the job done. Looks like that most recent picture has signs that they are finally getting close to laying the tracks again.

gweed:

I suspect doing that will require work on the concourse level columns, which will be problematic once the city portion of the work is complete and the retail is operational. You'd be dealing with the private lease holder and i doubt they'd like that, without significant compensation. This state of affairs will continue for 50 years.

Enviro:

The whole atrium/shed business didnt deal with the fundamental issue of track and platform organization. Frankly the whole thing should be razed and rebuilt. As to the Bush shed - I find that extending the heritage monkier to it weakens the concept.

AoD

Last edited:
Enviro:

The whole atrium/shed business didnt deal with the fundamental issue of track and platform organization. Frankly the whole thing should be razed and rebuilt. As to the Bush shed - I find that extending the heritage monkier to it weakens the concept.

AoD

Brilliant. And where do you propose they run the trains to while they are doing this, exactly?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back