Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

A lot of fire talk in this thread recently, there was a fire in the rest of the Market that’s still under construction, just a few minutes ago, there’s smoke everywhere (you can see it under the cup lights in this photo), and it smells like fire. I overheard the construction workers say the smell will clear out in a few minutes.

5A95ACA5-155A-44FA-8704-9659A4D3C87C.jpeg

I guess they still don't plan on opening the connection between East and West Moat anytime soon, it's not showing on the map. At what point should they just give up on this artwork and actually utilize the space. And I hope they make the signage clear on how to get outside/Bus Terminal from York Concourse once they close the VIA-TELUS connection, since it's not very intuitive to go to Bay then South through Scotiabank Arena.

I guess they still don't plan on opening the connection between East and West Moat anytime soon, it's not showing on the map. At what point should they just give up on this artwork and actually utilize the space. And I hope they make the signage clear on how to get outside/Bus Terminal from York Concourse once they close the VIA-TELUS connection, since it's not very intuitive to go to Bay then South through Scotiabank Arena.
The connection could, of course, open but I think they are keeping it closed as pedestrian volumes remain quite light and there are other ways to make this trip and it would attach homeless folk. The artwork not being there is incidental as it is along the south wall of the passageway and installing it could certainly happen even if it were open while the artists were doing the installation. In August 2022 I enquired on plans and got this from the Manager at Union Station. In short, it's coming...

Like you, we are anxious to make progress on this important artwork. To that end, the Property Management team has recently been working with the artists at LabAU to resume work for the installation.

Delays due to construction and COVID were, unfortunately, unavoidable. Currently, we are addressing logistical and technical details that have changed significantly since COVID. We anticipate the technological review to be completed this fall, with installation to follow in 2023.

More info from Metrolinx on the new south link at Union;

It has this plan, which I do not remember seeing before:L

View attachment 445667

This was known as the Union Station Enhancement Project in previous planning documents. Essentially adding more waiting areas and access for the southern platforms. There was a cold concrete area here during the Bay concourse build.

This was known as the Union Station Enhancement Project in previous planning documents. Essentially adding more waiting areas and access for the southern platforms. There was a cold concrete area here during the Bay concourse build.
Hopefully these guys learned their lessons and it won't get delayed.

By 2027 all construction at Union Station should be wrapped up in time for its centennial celebration.

Back