Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Indeed. The last stouffville train every night is either on 27 or 13. Like clockwork.

Yes and no - there are some weird exceptions that made it not quite predictable. (e.g. Lakeshore West) - you can try and memorize those exceptions, but you just can't assume it will be the same track/platform by default because you will get burned.

AoD

This is at Budget Committee today:: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/bu/bgrd/backgroundfile-140902.pdf

UnionStation.jpg

The canopy plan scares me a little. I'm assuming (hopefully incorrectly) there are no platform exits under those canopies. Look at the ones to the west - are some people getting out of the train west of Simcoe near the convention centre? They will have to walk a long way to Union Station first before going down the stairs. There will be a thousand people lined up to go down the first set of stairs to the York West teamway and those stairs are pretty much single file. The front end of the eastbound train will be packed because that's where the Union stairs will be. The back end will have more available seats but will have a long walk to exit Union. Passengers from the more remote suburban stations will get first pick on the front end, passengers boarding closer to Union will get what's left.

The canopy plan scares me a little. I'm assuming (hopefully incorrectly) there are no platform exits under those canopies. Look at the ones to the west - are some people getting out of the train west of Simcoe near the convention centre? They will have to walk a long way to Union Station first before going down the stairs. There will be a thousand people lined up to go down the first set of stairs to the York West teamway and those stairs are pretty much single file. The front end of the eastbound train will be packed because that's where the Union stairs will be. The back end will have more available seats but will have a long walk to exit Union. Passengers from the more remote suburban stations will get first pick on the front end, passengers boarding closer to Union will get what's left.
Those extended platforms exist now (and are used occasionally). The new plan (or the renderings!) show they will in future be covered by canopies. We are FAR from the day that they will be operational and really have no details about staircases, widths etc etc so it's not yet time to get too concerned. Relax!

I find Metrolinx is usually pretty consistent with which platforms and bays are used for each train line and bus.

When there is a platform change, they typically announce it well in advance too.

It's consistent from Board to Board, but not consistent enough that the wayfinding signage within the station can be modified to reflect it.

Article in Toronto Star about this new Southern Concourse.

"Metrolinx says it needs access to the property soon in order to begin work next September on station modifications that will enable increased GO Transit service at the nation’s busiest rail hub. "

"Aikins said the new work will be done “largely behind the scenes without impacting customer flow.” Metrolinx’s upgrades to Union are projected to take five or six years."

Two key quotes that work will begin September 2020 and will take 5 to 6 years. Given Metrolinks track record of delivering projects in double the time that it was actually suppose to take. So we can say this wont be done till 2030 or 2032.

So the opening of the Bay Concourse is now Q3 2020? So it could be June 1, 2020?
No, technically Bay concourse work has already completed, and out of the hands of this contractor. It's now in the hands of Metrolinx in order to fit it out. I fully expect it to open next year, but it's not the same timeline as presented in this document.

So the opening of the Bay Concourse is now Q3 2020? So it could be June 1, 2020?
Q3 begins July 1 but the Bay Concourse may not be the last part of the City project, maybe the Great Hall floor? Of course, as we saw with the York Concourse, it takes Metrolinx 6 months or so to actually fit-out a concourse once the City turns it over to them so I would not be looking for any (full) opening on July1.
UPDATE: If @raptor is right (and s/he probably is) the Bay Concourse has already been turned over to Metrolinx!

Last edited:
Yes and no - there are some weird exceptions that made it not quite predictable. (e.g. Lakeshore West) - you can try and memorize those exceptions, but you just can't assume it will be the same track/platform by default because you will get burned.

AoD
And that's why the hordes wait for the platform to be posted and then rush the stairs :)

Those extended platforms exist now (and are used occasionally). The new plan (or the renderings!) show they will in future be covered by canopies. We are FAR from the day that they will be operational and really have no details about staircases, widths etc etc so it's not yet time to get too concerned. Relax!
Thanks DSC, I feel better now. It's good to be reminded that this is at best a long way off!

Back