Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

TBH there's plenty of Presto machines at the stairs to the platforms and all over. I don't think that is a problem. You don't need to wait to the last minute to tap on.
I usually don't tap on until I confirm the train I need to grab is actually going, plus if there were screens when I exit the subway there's a chance I'd rush to the platform and forget to tap the 2 or 3 mins after I saw the time in the big hall on bay

So I happen to disagree with the TTC reasoning, but I recall they wouldn't but subway train arrival times on surface/mezzanine level because they said people might rush on the steps and hurt themselves and maybe others too. I wonder if that thinking is what's driving this lack of screens outside the concourses.

The current system of not announcing the platform until 10 minutes before arrival is silly anyways. As a frequent rider - I already know what platform I will be going to - the arrival display is basically just a check.

Speaking of displays - the platform ones are not terribly useful given how small the font was, and there here is problem with the hierarchy of information - the most important information - the line (regular vs express) - is not given enough prominence to be viewable from afar. You ended up with people always asking what train it is.

AoD

Back