Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

View attachment 476295

I want a GO bus. Which way do I go?
This! For a long time now I wanted to highlight how infuriating it can be trying to figure out the wayfinding signage at Union. I'm pretty good with reading signage and maps in general but every time I'm at Union I end up getting lost trying to figure out which way to go and the plethora of entrances and exits (which some are not always open/are locked on weekends). The longer wayfinding signs that hang on the ceiling throughout the station are quite poor as well. I was pondering at what made the signage so bad and it dawned on me that there is no centre/line that delineates the split between left and right and it's very apparent when so much is crammed into that space. Physical separation would help greatly but it would be an added cost.

Maybe the accessible route is to the right, although the most direct route is to the left. That's my guess.
Or they just haven't came about updating the signage - the two tabs looks to be add-ons.
The answer is....... go to your RIGHT.

I would agree with your interpretation of the sign. I think you are correct- before new Union Station Bus Terminal the correct thing to do would have been to go left and access the old terminal via Platform 3. Now the correct way is to go right and take the new bridge to CIBC Square.
A temporary sticker covering the old bus pictogram would go a long way.

I think the way the sign is supposed to be interpreted though is 'left' as is grouped with all the rest... Right (pun intended)?

Not defending the wayfinding, but in this case, I think both routes take about the same time. Although I agree the left side should be the permanent route since the connection to the South side is getting replaced with the new expansion work.

Not defending the wayfinding, but in this case, I think both routes take about the same time. Although I agree the left side should be the permanent route since the connection to the South side is getting replaced with the new expansion work.
It was definitely better to turn right. Left would have led to Bay Concourse.
This map shows where the photo was taken, except it doesn't exactly show the current physical layout. There was no door straight ahead. Turning right led to a stairwell/ramp setup (in what is denoted as 'Under Construction') to the area that leads to the arena.

1683894169275.png

It was definitely better to turn right. Left would have led to Bay Concourse.
This map shows where the photo was taken, except it doesn't exactly show the current physical layout. There was no door straight ahead. Turning right led to a stairwell/ramp setup (in what is denoted as 'Under Construction') to the area that leads to the arena.

View attachment 476474
I think you have an incorrect section of the map. I’m assuming the ramp you mean the one that connects to Maple Leafs Square, which has been open for years and has been the primary access point to the South side of union. Turning left they opened a new connection from that hallway directly to scotiabank arena entrance, without the need for entering Bay Concourse
IMG_3171.jpeg

I think you have an incorrect section of the map. I’m assuming the ramp you mean the one that connects to Maple Leafs Square, which has been open for years and has been the primary access point to the South side of union. Turning left they opened a new connection from that hallway directly to scotiabank arena entrance, without the need for entering Bay Concourse
View attachment 476698
Yes! You are right. It was where your arrow points right.

Two new retailers were added to the Union Station map: Desi Market and KIBO MarketView attachment 476797.View attachment 476798

A third retailer called MightyBird is also on this page, but it takes the spot of Union Chicken inside the Foodie Aisle. View attachment 476799

KIBO is a Japanese place.

As per the name they do lots of sushi, but have a range of cooked items as well.

So, I was by here yesterday......

I share the following, the Market was quiet, if open, in the early evening hours.

But the connection to the west side of the station was blockaded again; apparently there was substantial vandalism following the Leaf's loss.

Hopefully that will come back down ASAP as that impairs traffic flow.

Manotas will be a good addition here, but while the hoarding is down they aren't open as yet.

The Source and Hazukido look to be June openings.

Still too much un-let space. They need to get a move-on to achieve critical mass and drive traffic; I think Sept would be an ideal target, but they'll need any leases wrapped up by the end of the month given the lag time to get permits and get fit-out and stock-up done.

Back