Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

New artwork inside the TTC subway station:

1. Oh man, those look like consumer grade Nanoleaf panels! Hope they either have good security or perhaps it's a temporary installation, cause that would be a hot ticket item to peel of the wall.
2. We still have payphones!?

1. Oh man, those look like consumer grade Nanoleaf panels! Hope they either have good security or perhaps it's a temporary installation, cause that would be a hot ticket item to peel of the wall.

On the bright side, at least Nanoleaf is a Toronto-based company. They really should partner to see what can be done to showcase our local firms.

AoD

The TTC, in partnership with Distress Centres of Toronto and Bell Canada, provides the Crisis Link program to offer hope to those at risk of suicide.

Crisis Link is a poster/payphone program available on every subway platform. It is designed to encourage anyone contemplating suicide to use the payphone at the Designated Waiting Area on each platform. The direct-dial button connects callers with a trained counsellor at the Distress Centres of Toronto.

Phone calls are free and confidential. Counsellors will talk with the caller and assess the risk to the individual who is considering suicide. Distress Centres staff will contact the TTC’s Transit Control Centre to implement the appropriate measures to ensure the individual remains safe.

The TTC, in partnership with Distress Centres of Toronto and Bell Canada, provides the Crisis Link program to offer hope to those at risk of suicide.

Crisis Link is a poster/payphone program available on every subway platform. It is designed to encourage anyone contemplating suicide to use the payphone at the Designated Waiting Area on each platform. The direct-dial button connects callers with a trained counsellor at the Distress Centres of Toronto.

Phone calls are free and confidential. Counsellors will talk with the caller and assess the risk to the individual who is considering suicide. Distress Centres staff will contact the TTC’s Transit Control Centre to implement the appropriate measures to ensure the individual remains safe.

Aside from DSC's excellent note above........pay phones still have some other value.

1) People's phones die/break; or are sometimes lost/forgotten, it's important to continue to have a back-up form of communication.

2) In disaster situations, including loss of power, cell phones often don't work/ or are overwhelmed.
This almost never effects old-school hard lines, in part because Bell has its own back-up power system as distinct from the general grid.

3) There remain some people, albeit a small number who lack cell phones.

Clearly there is no longer the need for walls of six or more pay phones in multiple spots in subway stations/malls etc.

But retaining 1 or 2 in major destinations/busy spots makes all the sense in the world and is very inexpensive 'insurance'.

Last edited:
Looks like the foodie aisle is toast.

The signage directing people to it is gone and while the individual shops remain they are abandoned.

I am surprised it failed so spectacularly.

20220406_182123.jpg

Do we know for sure it’s closed for good? I always thought they opened it temporarily while the full reopening would happen once the Fresh Market connection to the York foodcourt opens. The lower level of Bay is basically just a connection point at the moment, but once the retail opens, the Fresh Market, and connection to York, people are much more likely to linger and eat in that area.

How can it have proven it's viability when the lower level isn't fully open yet and people are just starting to go back to work now? If they thought it would be profitable in the winter of 2021-2022 they need some business sense. If normal rents are being charged to these places now then they (city or real estate company managing this) are shooting themselves in the food because they need to get to critical mass.

Do we know for sure it’s closed for good? I always thought they opened it temporarily while the full reopening would happen once the Fresh Market connection to the York foodcourt opens. The lower level of Bay is basically just a connection point at the moment, but once the retail opens, the Fresh Market, and connection to York, people are much more likely to linger and eat in that area.

It was fully operational for a few weeks until recently when they removed all signage and fenced off the shops.

I don't see why they would staff the shops, buy supplies and then close up for an indefinite period.

From what I could tell, those stores don't look like they are reopening.

I don't understand. Why did this Food Court fail?

My guess is location.

It was located in a corridor behind spaces under construction.

The only way you would have walked through here was if you were lost. As of now, only the escalators beside the entrance to the Blue Route access it directly. Coming from the other end, it is hidden in a corridor behind under construction shops.

Going to and from the subway and GO you wouldn't even know it existed. You would walk right past it. The main escalators leading from the GO transit area to the subway and station bypass the Foodie Aisle completely.

Quite literally, unless you get lost and take the wrong escalator (or are coming from the Arena) you wouldn't know it existed.

Those restaurants have most likely closed for a temporary amount of time.
The Market area needs some major work done still before it’s open sometime this year, and having food open so close by was probably a hazard.

Not to mention the Queenston Bar on the other side needs to be built; it’s just not an ideal location to have open during that.

These restaurants were open before they realized what work the needed to do on all sides of them, I’m confident that we’ll see them reopen sometime this year.

Back