Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

? After spending a few minutes re-reading the last two pages - I don't think I see anyone suggesting eliminating reserved seating.
Well, Neutrino said: "How much would Via need to expand their fleet to eliminate reserved seating?" I read this as meaning "I think we would not need reserved seating if Via had x% more trains. How many more trains would they need? My response to my question would be "Even if Via had many many more trains I think there would still be a need for reserved seating. (Groups travelling together, people wanting window seats etc etc.)

Well, Neutrino said: "How much would Via need to expand their fleet to eliminate reserved seating?" I read this as meaning "I think we would not need reserved seating if Via had x% more trains. How many more trains would they need? My response to my question would be "Even if Via had many many more trains I think there would still be a need for reserved seating. (Groups travelling together, people wanting window seats etc etc.)
non reserved would only work with commuter travel. Intercity travel would need reserved seating as people would not stand for 3 hours on a full train. The only way is if Via introduced commuter travel with travel times of less than 2 hours

Europe has both reserved and non reserved, but European train travel is much different than here.

My sister uses the train frequently from east of the city, and it is often fully booked so I wouldn’t want to chance non reserved.

Europe has both reserved and non reserved, but European train travel is much different than here.

Most confusingly, tickets out of parts of Germany/Switzerland have an assigned seat and simultaneously say in fine print that you can sit anywhere on the train. I've seen a couple battles over that (tourists try to sit in their assigned seat, local tells them to move on).

Here’s an interesting conundrum in the heritage preservation thing. These painted signs are one of my favourite “heritage” details in Union Station. Throughout the reno, every time I am in the depot I have walked past them with bated breath, fully expecting that the reno will remove them.

Clearly, that ain’t gonna happen.... you can see how when they cleaned the wall, they carefully masked around the painting and protected them.

I guess that’s a win....although with time the ‘dirty’ sections may be less appealing.

Now here’s the irony: those aren’t the originals. The original version were painted in black, and they were english only. The red paint and the french version were an update circa 1967 as CN upgraded the depot for its Red/White/Blue passenger pitch, and bilingual signage became the norm

When one interprets the past, one must be careful to specify the era being portrayed!

All the same, I’m glad they weren’t lost.

- Paul

51764F95-DCFD-498A-A2E9-C79574EEAF87.jpeg

This caught my eye today:

Union Station Enhancement This year, we will continue to remove the last of the redundant heritage steel and install the overhead lighting. We are installing tactile warning strips to the platform edges to improve passenger safety and revitalizing some staircases. Additionally, we will continue to upgrade our passenger communication system and security systems within the train shed. Although this work is not expected to disrupt our neighbours, it will take place at night and will require closing and opening of platforms within the shed which will impact what tracks our trains use to approach and exit Union Station. The heritage restoration of the Bay Street Bridge is scheduled to start in later this year and is scheduled to take approximately six months.

See: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regionalplanning/rer/USRC-East_Brochure_2019-EN.PDF

Work on the 'granite' floor of the York Street moat is moving ahead, they are currently finishing off the area where it meets the west Front moat. They are also in final stages of preparing to pour concrete at the east end of the east Front moat at top of the stairs (which were poured a few weeks ago, and the rest of the stairs at the west end of the east front Moat have been poured.

You may notice come changes!
Starting July 7, commuter access to the TTC subway from the lower level of Union Station will be closed until December 2019. This change is necessary to improve the flow of pedestrian traffic and to allow construction work on the revitalization project to progress.

Route Change from Union Station to TTC
  • Commuters leaving Union will be directed to the north exit doors of the York Concourse, where they will connect to the TTC subway station via the centre moat and tunnel.
  • Commuters can also exit the station to Front Street and enter the TTC subway station from street level.
What work is being done?
Work to be completed over the next six months includes:

• the glass roof in the east Front Street moat;
  • the new stairs to the Bay retail level (below the future Bay Concourse);
  • improved access to the TTC subway station, and;
  • 12 additional retail spaces in the station.

Welp, there goes the theory that pedestrians would be redirected through the Bay Concourse (as promising as it looked).

Bye bye leather shop bypass

Back