Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Well, I’ll be darned. Down in the VIA departures concourse, they are installing a very nice recreation of the original heritage-flavour gate entrances. For some of us, these are a really nice touch.
The work also uncovered a bit of old lettering that hasn’t been seen since 1966 when the GO installations began.
A lot of memories....
4F5E014C-AF19-4FC4-BED7-4A59F6532B1D.jpeg
68366F00-73FD-4B6C-926C-767AFD337A0E.jpeg
624A7FE9-FEEF-41DB-8E83-9280CE087E71.jpeg
Some days it’s nice to almost be a senior citizen!
- Paul

My memory tells me that Choo Choo's was the bar (somewhat "grungy") upstairs beside the main doors (where the VIA1 lounge is now).

but my memory is never any good!

Well, I’ll be darned. Down in the VIA departures concourse, they are installing a very nice recreation of the original heritage-flavour gate entrances. For some of us, these are a really nice touch.
The work also uncovered a bit of old lettering that hasn’t been seen since 1966 when the GO installations began.
A lot of memories....View attachment 169542View attachment 169540View attachment 169541Some days it’s nice to almost be a senior citizen!
- Paul
I can’t help but notice that in the first picture the bay concourse’s original tilling is still there when will they fix those

Having read the article..........

While I find the woman's claims of PTSD a bit much............

I also find the officer's actions in this case to be likewise.

To arrest someone, search their bag for ID, and issue two tickets, one for not holding a handrail that seems to be without precedent, plus an obstruct police charge, certainly leaves the impression of an officer on a power-trip, rather than one judiciously enforcing the law.

The original municipal court judge through the tickets out.

While she has lost twice in her lawsuit on the road to the SCC, the minority opinion on the appeal was compellingly in her favour and took a very dim view of the police officer in question.

I look forward to what the SCC has to say about this matter, as there are interesting legal principles at stake.

To wit:

Can a public body delegate its power to make laws to a manufacturer or other third party? (enforcement was based on a pictogram on the escalator put there by the manufacturer, not by the transit authority, and not at the authority's direction or request)

Is a pictogram itself sufficient to infer the existence of a binding law?

If yes, how do the colours chosen impact this? (the minority opinion noted the prominent use of yellow, which is the colour of caution, as opposed to red which is the colour of prohibition) .

Also, can an officer lay a charge or request ID in relation to same on a 'good faith' basis that there is an enforceable law, when in fact there is not one?

Should make for good reading...........a long while from now.

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought of the connection to this situation with that story too. It takes us off-topic so I'll be brief. Almost guaranteed the SCC will rule in her favour. In the case of someone with a baby buggy, it would be absolute folly to put one hand on the handrail, and that must be extrapolated to all cases *even if the legal mechanism was found constitutional* (which isn't the case, there's no supporting legislation for it) applying it so broadly wouldn't and couldn't be, just as there isn't any for "stand to the right".

Addendum: Legal discussion of the case (and since this is going to the highest court in the land, applicable to Metrolinx, VIA, TTC, Union Station et al):
http://www.thecourt.ca/scc-to-hear-woman-arrested-for-not-holding-a-handrail/

Last edited:
I find it amusing but also slightly worrying that in the event of a fire alarm, your first instinct is to take pictures and record the alarm :p

To be fair I heard the alarm but the automated system wasn't stating there was a need for evacuation. There was also no visible signs of smoke or fire in the Great Hall.

Had there been signs of an emergency I would have fled.

To be fair I heard the alarm but the automated system wasn't stating there was a need for evacuation. There was also no visible signs of smoke or fire in the Great Hall.

Had there been signs of an emergency I would have fled.
bad advice, but hey, it's 2019. taking pictures is more important than safety. take notes, kids.

I find it amusing but also slightly worrying that in the event of a fire alarm, your first instinct is to take pictures and record the alarm :p
If people were so predictable, overlooking due diligence rather an 'alarm'...terrorists would find us even easier to manipulate than they do now. If it were a tunnel, circumstance might deem more caution, when you're close to many exits, it allows a much greater evaluation of risk vs reaction.

Ostensibly (a discussion in itself, a more valid one than RW's reaction/observation being untoward) there's a PA to warn of something more malicious...but being Union Station, Botch-up Central, whether there's a 'PA for general warning' remains a good question...

Interesting question, how do we expect the York concourse's popularity will be affected by the opening of Bay? Do we expect to see the food court less busy and significantly less traffic through the Western part of the station or do we think that people will keep walking that way after years of doing it.

I think it will be well used by businesspeople and those going to Southcore, Rogers Centre, CN tower or Aquarium. I can see the Bay Concourse being heavily used by everyday people looking to catch GO trains and buses as it is closer to the centre of downtown.

Back