Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

The food court is not closing at 7 PM. Restaurants are staying open until at least 7 PM. They can choose to close later, to 10 PM at the moment.

In regards to Friday, it was not Metrolinx employees who got to test the place out first, it was "friends and family" of the people opening each purveyor. Anne Marie Aikins was down there because she's freakin' Anne Marie Aikins, not because she was representative of every Metrolinx employee. (AMA is terrific, BTW, one of the absolute best people I've come to know because of working for UT over the last several years now.) Otherwise there were still construction workers down there, PR people, and reporters.

Here are my better shots from Friday. You'll find it cleaner down there today:

01.jpg
05.jpg
09.jpg
13.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
25.jpg
29.jpg

Yes, the bar-height tables only have power sockets. If you want USB plugs, there are tons of them immediately upstairs in the GO York Concourse.

Last edited:
The complete list of quick-service restaurants opening today includes the big three you already know about: McD's, Tim's, and Pizza Pizza. (The test service I watched at PP looked fairly quick on Friday, although I didn't time it per se.) The other places opening are Roywoods (Jerk Chicken, was not ready for testing), Shanghai 360, Loaded Pierogi, Paramount, Sushi Shop, and Bangkok Buri, which I got to test, (and I gotta say I will be ordering their Red Curry Steak dish again—it was great). So, here's Bangkok Buri…

31BBuri1.jpg
32BBuri2.jpg
33BBuri3.jpg

That's the Red Curry Steak above. Below, things coming together at Pizza Pizza. I like the look here.

34PizzaPizza.jpg

The Tim's looks very much like any other Tim's.

35Tims.jpg

The McD's takes up a full quarter of the area.

McDs1.jpg
McDs2.jpg

I like the paint job on the east wall (above and below, and then on the north wall of the hallway that leads down towards to the yet-to-open Fresh Market).

McDs3.jpg

The materials are a nice fake-up of a post-industrial street.

McDs4.jpg
McDsToFreshMkt.jpg

There are two more spots in the food court. Scaccia ( you may know them from the Manulife Centre) will be opening in a few weeks beside Bangkok Buri) and another spot beside Roywoods that has not been leased out yet as Osmington is still considering what they want to add to the mix here.

More to come in a front page story around noon today.

The complete list of quick-service restaurants opening today includes the big three you already know about: McD's, Tim's, and Pizza Pizza. (The test service I watched at PP looked fairly quick on Friday, although I didn't time it per se.) The other places opening are Roywoods (Jerk Chicken, was not ready for testing), Shanghai 360, Loaded Pierogi, Paramount, Sushi Shop, and Bangkok Buri, which I got to test, (and I gotta say I will be ordering their Red Curry Steak dish again—it was great). So, here's Bangkok Buri…

View attachment 165027View attachment 165028View attachment 165029

That's the Red Curry Steak above. Below, things coming together at Pizza Pizza. I like the look here.

View attachment 165030

The Tim's looks very much like any other Tim's.

View attachment 165031

The McD's takes up a full quarter of the area.

View attachment 165032View attachment 165033

I like the paint job on the east wall (above and below, and then on the north wall of the hallway that leads down towards to the yet-to-open Fresh Market).

View attachment 165034

The materials are a nice fake-up of a post-industrial street.

View attachment 165035View attachment 165036

There are two more spots in the food court. Scaccia ( you may know them from the Manulife Centre) will be opening in a few weeks beside Bangkok Buri) and another spot beside Roywoods that has not been leased out yet as Osmington is still considering what they want to add to the mix here.

More to come in a front page story around noon today.

For the additional spot, I vote Ravi Soups.

Great pics/commentary @interchange42

Walked through this morning for a tea - decent crowd, about 30% full at 10am.. a few laptops.. outlets were being happily used.. I'm guessing it'll serve as a natural touchdown for business visitors coming off the UP.

Tim Hortons said their mobile pickup should be ready soon. Bangkok Buri was giving out samples of their purple haze donuts and actually convinced me to buy a half dozen for $3. No regrets. :)

The good: Food court was PACKED during rush hour. The existing restaurants (Union Chicken, Amano) seemed unaffected. Even McCafe had some customers lined up.
The bad: 4 of the 6 escalators weren't working. Wayfinding is atrocious. There's a random "Air Canada Centre -->" sign that makes no sense (forget the fact that the building's been renamed, but the arrow does not lead to the building).
Would it kill them to spray signs such as this one, all over the station, to point to the food court?
1543256407609.png

I can even see people going through York Concourse missing the food court altogether.
I also fear the food establishments at the Front St Promenade will become casualties as a result of the food court opening. I hope I'm wrong though.

Heavy cleaning can only be done when the station is closed. You can't clean the floors in rush-hour.
And yet heavy cleaning is achieved in public places that never close. A few cones in the middle of the night, to close half the width of a corridor isn't an issue. They even do floor replacement lasting weeks like this.

I certainly see TTC cleaning station floors with heavy equipment off-peak, without closing the station. Why would Union be different - particularly with the amount of redundant pathways there?

Back