Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

If it were up to me, we'd get a flipboard for the train destinations. They are one of the great casualties of the digital age in my estimation.

The flipboard is probably the sweetest feature in The Local Pub in Liberty Village, I had never seen one in real life before going there. I'm pretty floored they didn't keep them around, but gotta pinch those taxpayer pennies...

If it were up to me, we'd get a flipboard for the train destinations. They are one of the great casualties of the digital age in my estimation.

I'll settle for a "Retina Jumbotrom" (tiny pixels) video screen simulating a flipboard. Displaying full color, high-def photorealistic animations of the train desinations flipping as the screen updates the destinations. Deal? ;)

Let's just go full Steampunk and make a board made of hundreds of Nixie tubes.
That would be gorgeous too, but I love the sound of the flipping characters (and whole train names on wider flaps). The boards are actually called Solari boards. Here are a couple of examples…

This one at Paris Gare du Nord is a classic:

Here's one in New Haven CT from 2011:

This malfunctioning one at Frankfurt Airport has some hilarious mistakes in it:

And here's a brilliant new (but maybe overdone) digital fake, including sound:

More work progress shots from Monday:

Moat level under the canopy:

union 1.jpg

Action at the retail concourse, with ongoing work visible behind the hoarding in the bottom pic:

union 2.jpg

union 3.jpg

Attachments

• union 1.jpg
    union 1.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 639
  • union 2.jpg
    union 2.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 621
  • union 3.jpg
    union 3.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 624
Not sure if this has been posted but these hoarding wraps have gone up in the York Concourse. I’m glad people will have an idea of what to look forward to.
Very little to look forward to, IMO.

Pizza pizza? blegh
Can't we get a pizza place more original than that? Why can't that tiny place that moved out by the leather bypass come back

Back