Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Anyway, back on topic, I think a small 2-3 foot tall decorative ironwork on top of the moat walls (in aesthetic color such steel-gray; although traditional ironwork black would have a dramatic impact, it doesn't seem to fit the theme as well as steel-gray). It would have a big impact on the appearance of the plaza. Not too tall, just tall and pointy enough (fleur de lys pointy) to make it not easy for a drunk hooligan to spontaneously step over to do a "hold my beer, I'm going to run on the glass" activity.

2 to 3 feet is going to be very visually intrusive, and not really sufficient to deter people if they are drunk anyways. Why bother? And if some hooligan injury themselves, so what?

AoD

Which is partially my point - have anyone heard news of some drunk jumping off into the moat and injuring themselves in the process? We haven't - which suggests the concern is infrequent enough to be moot.

AoD
It's a poor analogy. Once it becomes common knowledge that this moat is now covered with a glass roof, people's perceptions about the 'acceptability' of doing something stupid will change.

Either way- I think the dismissive replies here to my question are unfounded. Someone will get on this at some point. That doesn't mean we need to form a committee and city hall about it though.

Just like the Union Station renovation.

That would be the ideal situation; steady and constant improvements to keep up with growing ridership.

Next phase is electrification, new GO bus station (starting soon? Days?), and hopefully increased streetcar capacity.

2 to 3 feet is going to be very visually intrusive, and not really sufficient to deter people if they are drunk anyways. Why bother? And if some hooligan injury themselves, so what?

AoD

If the injury is reasonably foreseeable, the building owner may be liable to some extent for not taking action to prevent it--even if most of the liability falls on the drunk person.

If the injury is reasonably foreseeable, the building owner may be liable to some extent--even if most of the liability falls on the drunk person.

There is a moat here now - and it is a longer way down than what will be. Are we concerned about the issue now? Nope. Why will adding a skylight change that?

AoD

Why couldn't y'all have instead pounced on my contention that both the info booth and departures board will disappear from the centre of the Great Hall in the final phase of work? (So glum I am.)

I actually haven't confirmed the above--hoping someone has seen a reputable design of the finished space.

But on another note, is it assumed that VIA and GO departures would never appear on the *same* board?

Not necessarily....VIA and AMT departures appear on the same board at Gare Centrale in Montreal.

The former AMT has far, far fewer departures at any given time than GO does.

As well, the passenger flows are pretty well separated at Union Station. GO passengers may enter the Great Hall, but they usually need to travel to the GO concourse to actually access their train.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

more moat talk

IMG_2917.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2917.JPG
    IMG_2917.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 421

Back