Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

If there's a huge knock against this line, it is that those connections potentially exist, but may be a bit expensive and technically challenging to implement. Figuring out a way to stop in Agincourt to integrate it with both the GO Stouffville line and whatever rapid transit gets built on Sheppard (if ever), a pathway to Crosstown platforms at Sunnybrook Park, making a second entrance to Summerhill subway station, and figuring out something in the Junction (connect with GO Kitchener/Barrie? extending the west leg of the DRL north from Dundas West subway station?).

That's the issue for me. The line is just far enough from Line 2, and from existing/currently planned GO/RER stations, that it's a tad awkward to design transfers, and potentially means a bunch of new stations. I wonder when there will be money for that - not before 2025, or beyond. It may be excellent to link hubs rather than serve as local transit.

(I have a bit of a rant about active transportation. I'm a big fan, and my Fitbit tells me I'm doing well, but I'm conscious that with age the concept of 'walkable' becomes a variable thing with a non-elastic radius. For the young, walking is good exercise that with time leads to increasing range - but at some age, all one can do is maintain one's current range.) This line appears to push the envelope on the walked distances needed for transfers. That may require some investment in moving sidewalks etc.

- Paul

Figuring out a way to stop in Agincourt to integrate it with both the GO Stouffville line and whatever rapid transit gets built on Sheppard (if ever)

I understand Metrolinx purchased some land near the intersection of the Uxbridge sub, and the CP line in order to potentially create a railway diamond there so traffic from the Uxbridge sub could connect with the CP line and visa versa.

I know the York Concourse is still under construction, but the signage directing people to the Air Canada Centre is very limited. Yesterday afternoon I spotted a lot of confused people with foam fingers and purple jerseys trying to find the right way out.

I have had that issue myself coming from the Toronto Railway Museum after my volunteer work.

Unless you know where you are heading the way to the ACC is confusing.

Usually I tell people to come and go via the Departures Concourse since the southern end of it connects to Maple Leaf Square.

Yup, I've had discussions with the security staff, and they're completely flustered, they keep pointing it out to the 'powers-that-be' and nothing ever changes. I just go upstairs to the street and navigate by known landmarks.

Can you imagine in an emergency what would happen?

Yup, I've had discussions with the security staff, and they're completely flustered, they keep pointing it out to the 'powers-that-be' and nothing ever changes. I just go upstairs to the street and navigate by known landmarks.

Can you imagine in an emergency what would happen?

Honestly,

If there was a fire at Union today alot of people would die. I have been going through Union weekly, if not daily for years and I still have no idea how to quickly exit if shit hits the fan

If there was a bomb threat or fire it would likely be safer to book it down the corridor than head downstairs and find an exit from the train shed.

Honestly,

If there was a fire at Union today alot of people would die. I have been going through Union weekly, if not daily for years and I still have no idea how to quickly exit if shit hits the fan

If there was a bomb threat or fire it would likely be safer to book it down the corridor than head downstairs and find an exit from the train shed.
I'm glad you said it, I have in the past only to be labelled 'alarmist'. I got really ticked off last Summer trying to walk a dog and bike through there to connect with GO bus station and/or some of the platforms not accessible from the west end of station at the time before realizing one can take the 'platform 3' route and avoid it all. There are/were no signs indicating that at the time. And I'm familiar with Union Station! God help all of those not generally familiar with it.

A useful idea. I cannot count how many times I went in search of a plug at Union. It would be nice to have them all across Union as opposed to just the York Concourse. I can see a few people sitting in the Great Hall, West Wing or even in the Departures Concourse waiting for a VIA train with a near dead phone. Currently the only accessible plugs in the Great Hall are located on the stairwells.

A useful idea. I cannot count how many times I went in search of a plug at Union. It would be nice to have them all across Union as opposed to just the York Concourse. I can see a few people sitting in the Great Hall, West Wing or even in the Departures Concourse waiting for a VIA train with a near dead phone. Currently the only accessible plugs in the Great Hall are located on the stairwells.
not a bad idea at all....but so much of the things they are putting in seem to somewhat redundant in a world we are moving to where all lines have trains every 15 minutes and the average wait time is 7.5 minutes no matter where you are going from Union.

not a bad idea at all....but so much of the things they are putting in seem to somewhat redundant in a world we are moving to where all lines have trains every 15 minutes and the average wait time is 7.5 minutes no matter where you are going from Union.

Not for all stations on all lines at all times of day. Richmond Hill, Lakeshore west of Aldershot, Barrie north of Aurora, Kitchener past wherever, Markham past Unionville, and Milton will have service more towards 60 minutes and some of them no midday service.

Not for all stations on all lines at all times of day. Richmond Hill, Lakeshore west of Aldershot, Barrie north of Aurora, Kitchener past wherever, Markham past Unionville, and Milton will have service more towards 60 minutes and some of them no midday service.

Not to mention VIA trains which are not exactly every 15 minutes. From check-in to departure it can be easily an hour or more wait.

Not to mention VIA trains which are not exactly every 15 minutes. From check-in to departure it can be easily an hour or more wait.

Did Via not already have outlets in the departures concourse? That would be very silly, but then again, that's the oldest part of the station currently. On the other hand, the trains have outlets at every seat, so as long as someone charges their stuff at home or their hotel before heading to Union, any device should easily last until they're on board.

A few observations from the Bay st moat area:
- new doors have been installed in the cutouts to the new lower level at Bay concourse (some even have signs saying "Closed due to Bay concourse construction")
- temporary stairwell installed from moat floor to next floor (existing level)
- a lot of prep work on actual concrete floor, railings in moat.
Surely all of the above indicate it will open very soon, and they would close the existing stairs to the subway for demolition.

Back