Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Noticed last week that the one side of the stairs leading to the moat from the subway station was fenced off and being demolished. I know they will be lowering it down eventually to match the gradient of the new concourse but that new Bay Concourse will not be opening for a couple years. Anyone know what they are up to here?
Starting work?

This entrance is still not open. Early this morning three workers were again doing minor touch ups and cleaning. No other progress is visible, though I can't see what more there is to actually do. The bike locker room looks complete. The lights are on and the separate entrances are done.
Update: It's open! Some people walking down the corridor and stopping, and looking around with a confused "wait,
where am I?" look on their face this morning.

Update: It's open! Some people walking down the corridor and stopping, and looking around with a confused "wait,
where am I?" look on their face this morning.

By 8:15AM they had temporary plastic barriers closing it off again, and a worker was frantically painting some of the plywood hoarding white. Very odd.

By 8:15AM they had temporary plastic barriers closing it off again, and a worker was frantically painting some of the plywood hoarding white. Very odd.

Pic as of evening rush hour--looks great, very open, and this adds natural light as you're making the long walk over from the TTC/PATH. Bicycle station is looking great too, hopefully that opens soon as well (though I believe this is the one with showers, etc., so it may take a bit longer to be ready despite the racks looking good).

IMG_1243.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1243.JPG
    IMG_1243.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,516
Starbucks logos added over the hoarding at the furthest north exit to the York East team way around track 4 access stairs. Looks like there will be quite a fast food and drink war going on inside the York Concourse.

Toronto your commute is about to get a lot worse at UnionTO.
https://twitter.com/tnarduzzi/status/689890645738196993

EDIT: I have since spoken to contractors on-site, to update this situation, these stairs to the moat are scheduled to reopen in time for today's evening rush. Fingers crossed!

Charming. I wouldn't count on the contractor on anything given the amount of intrusion into pedestrian space in the Moat/Bay Street pre-teamway area. Like those concrete barriers? The new generator?

And yes, let's not forget the GO service agents standing in the middle of the teamway handing out flyers and slowing the flow down.

AoD

Last edited:
Toronto your commute is about to get a lot worse at UnionTO.
https://twitter.com/tnarduzzi/status/689890645738196993

EDIT: I have since spoken to contractors on-site, to update this situation, these stairs to the moat are scheduled to reopen in time for today's evening rush. Fingers crossed!

This is what I was referring to in my earlier post. I do believe this is to do with the the lowering of the bay concourse to match the level of the subway. What I do not get is why they created stairs just to rip them out shortly thereafter. Next thing you know the Bay Street concourse entrance will close completely in the next week or so.

I am at a loss as to why they did not just close the moat entirely and have everyone enter via the Great Hall exiting Union Subway Station via the Front Street exits. This would allow them to do the work all at once. What is even more perplexing is why they are doing the work on the stairs now when the Bay Street concourse will not open for two more years at best.

Anyone here have an update on work being done in the Great Hall? I would be interested to know what the timeline is and what work is being done. I can see all the scaffolds and hoarding but beyond that I have no idea what is being done and when.

Anyone here have an update on work being done in the Great Hall? I would be interested to know what the timeline is and what work is being done. I can see all the scaffolds and hoarding but beyond that I have no idea what is being done and when.
The Great Hall is being fully restored; they are presumably starting at the east and west ends and moving towards the centre. FGMDA are supervising and their website states: "As heritage consultant to NORR Architects, FGMDA is mandated to restore and rehabilitate the whole station. The project includes the restoration of the building’s exterior and interior masonry, and the Grand Hall."

I am hoping and praying that the current intrusion is a result of the contractor demolishing the concrete retaining wall in order to make those stairs "full width". After this initial "f you" to all us commuters, this would remove the blind corner actually helping the situation... a little. The main problem is still going to be those awful tiny doors (trimmed in white). And of course, this is all conjecture. All I know for sure is this morning SUCKED BIG TIME at Union, it took 10 minutes to go from York Concourse to TTC. Shuffling along in a human mass. Tomorrow, extra coffee. ;)

Back