Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Amazing that they know they can excavate like that and those exposed support beams won't simply collapse.

*columns

They're incredibly strong, and the engineers will be familiar with how they can be expected to perform in conditions like this; no worries there. They've also braced a number of them, which is really interesting to see. What a project!

Having reread the captions - I would hope that the "passage" behind the hoarding would have a window in it, so people can see this work first hand. It would likely be a positive PR factor for the people who use the station to see just how massive the work behind that hoarding really is.

- Paul
Wow. Funny you mention that. I emailed Counc. Mike Layton and Counc. Pam McConnell to mention exactly that. "Free PR opportunity" was the subject line. Yet... three months later... still no window. Sometimes I really wonder about those puppets down at City Hall.

EDIT: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/attach...revitalization-free-pr-opportunity-pdf.54990/

I don't think that "passage" will be open all that long, and that's probably why no-one is bothering with windows in the hoarding: that area has to be excavated too, and soon enough people won't be walking through any parts of the former-and-future Bay Concourse.

I don't think that "passage" will be open all that long, and that's probably why no-one is bothering with windows in the hoarding: that area has to be excavated too, and soon enough people won't be walking through any parts of the former-and-future Bay Concourse.

I'm absolutely amazed that it's remained open, with the moat closed, for this long. Should have been open no more than 2 months. The moat now looks essentially complete peeking in past the hoarding, and those new doors to the moat are in place towards the york side (just east of the Tim Hortons stand, right where that new stairwell to/from the great hall lets out).

I'm absolutely amazed that it's remained open, with the moat closed, for this long. Should have been open no more than 2 months.

I have nothing to substantiate this: But one does wonder if Carillion is dragging their feet to "mess" with Bondfield...? It seems like at the end of the day Carillion is still holding the scheduling cards.

With the Blue Route now closed, people have to walk outside to get to the ACC now?

No--if you walk south through the VIA concourse to the Union Plaza entrance/exit, there are doors that lead east to the same interior vestibule between Union and the ACC that the blue route lead to, providing indoor access.

No--if you walk south through the VIA concourse to the Union Plaza entrance/exit, there are doors that lead east to the same interior vestibule between Union and the ACC that the blue route lead to, providing indoor access.
Although "officially" crowds were/are directed to access ACC via the Teamways. But signage is spotty at best no matter which route you take, as discussed here many times.
I'm sure there are loads of lost people every game, making for unnecessary crowding and confusion. Has anyone toured the station before game time?

Although "officially" crowds were/are directed to access ACC via the Teamways. But signage is spotty at best no matter which route you take, as discussed here many times.
I'm sure there are loads of lost people every game, making for unnecessary crowding and confusion. Has anyone toured the station before game time?

After a game it was crowded and we used the teamways to get to the station. However it seemed to move steadily and we got to the subway in a reasonable time.

TD Bank Group announces partnership with Union Station.

Includes:
  • A state-of-the-art branch
  • Convenient ATMs throughout the complex
  • A TD sponsored public concierge service within the new centre
  • Opportunities to bring our brand to life through experiential activations, including sharing our love of music with visitors
  • Pop-up services to address needs during and after construction including banking services, foreign exchange, etc.
  • Wi-Fi access for all visitors provided by TD
Link:

http://www.newswire.ca/news-release...ive-financial-services-partner-562773301.html

TD Bank Group announces partnership with Union Station.

Includes:
  • A state-of-the-art branch
  • Convenient ATMs throughout the complex
  • A TD sponsored public concierge service within the new centre
  • Opportunities to bring our brand to life through experiential activations, including sharing our love of music with visitors
  • Pop-up services to address needs during and after construction including banking services, foreign exchange, etc.
  • Wi-Fi access for all visitors provided by TD
Link:

http://www.newswire.ca/news-release...ive-financial-services-partner-562773301.html

Take that CIBC. You and your UPX partnership can stick it.

Ugh. Just do it somewhere out of my way. I guess it couldn't be worse than the tables of random crap that occasionally appeared in the Bay Concourse. It was like they thought the station was a flea market.

Last edited:

Back