Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I see today that they have installed a new temporary wheelchair ramp that spans across the 'lower moat'? area.
This doesnt give me much hope that the moat would open before winter to alleviate some of the congestion down there during the winter months. It would be nice to have a way to get to the Path without having to go outside.

After seeing the flow of Jays fans tonight I guess they won't close the Bay Concourse as long as sellout games continue at Rogers. Too bottled of a neck there.

Now about the moat -- is it only as wide as the ramp...?

The temporary ramp now spans across the moat. I dont think they would build it, albeit temporary, if it wasnt supposed to be there for the winter. I was hoping they would open the moat to alleviate atleast some of this bottleneck that happens.

Just below the Great Hall there are copious signs on the ramps up to Front Street, marked Alternate access to TTC.

This route tends to be ignored, though a closure of Bay would divert crowds from the ensuing bottleneck.

It will be interesting to see if large crowds -- such as fans on the way to ACC -- can be convinced to use Teamways or other routes than the "Front St Promenade" below the Great Hall.

The first two are the same parking deck in Amsterdam. The bottom one is in Delft.

The trend with new or renovated stations is to put the bike racks indoors, preferably underground:

Utrecht:
Fietsenstalling.jpg

Rotterdam:
fietsenstallingkl.jpg

The trend with new or renovated stations is to put the bike racks indoors, preferably underground:

That pic was from when they were rebuilding the station (by moving the tracks underground through the city) and building the new underground bike station. Those racks are now gone.

Here's a video:

Though, many stations with indoor or underground bike parking still have lots of racks outdoors, for those people who only need to park for a short while or for those who are accessing the station from the opposite direction than where the bike garage ramp is. Rather than just saying "Why don't those damn cyclists bike around the station to the garage?", they actually provide facilities for those people as well. For example, Rotterdam with the great parking garage pictured above (located on the south side of the station), still has all this bike parking on the north side.

(Side note: see how at 3:34-3:50 people are riding their bikes WITHIN the bike garage. Here, the idea that cyclists should be allowed to operate their bikes indoors would be considered crazy, even though that's what car drivers do in a car parking garage.)

Last edited:
Found out there is (sorry, will be) a bicycle station for 220 bikes at Union Station. See link. There are currently 120 bike racks.

The Toronto Union Station Bicycle Station is on the east side of York St., just north of 25 York St. (at Bremner Blvd.). It features 120 bike racks, a change room, and a vending machine offering spare inner tubes, bike lights, and snacks. Some tools and a pump are available for members to perform minor repairs. The Union Station bike station is our “head office,” where staff can register new members and renew parking plans for any of Toronto’s Bicycle Stations.

Toronto's Union Station is served by GO Transit, Via Rail, Amtrak and Ontario Northland, as well as The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC). GO Transit's Union Station Bus Terminal is located across Bay Street from the station building.

The Union Station Revitalization Project includes a new Bicycle Station that will park 220 bikes and will feature showers and lockers. Construction is scheduled for completion in 2016.

bicyclestation-map.gif

There is a bicycle station at Victoria Park Subway Station, for 52 bicycles. There are plans for more.

• Nathan Phillips Square
    The revitalisation of Nathan Phillips Square will include a Bicycle Station in the underground parking facility. To receive up-dates on construction progress and the expected opening date, please send your name and e-mail address (or phone number) to bicyclestation@toronto.ca

• Finch West Station
    The new TTC station at Finch and Keele will feature a bicycle station. Construction is scheduled for completion in the fall of 2016.

• Eglinton Crosstown LRT
    New stations being built for the Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail transit facility will include bicycle stations.

(Side note: see how at 3:34-3:50 people are riding their bikes WITHIN the bike garage. Here, the idea that cyclists should be allowed to operate their bikes indoors would be considered crazy, even though that's what car drivers do in a car parking garage.)
To add to your side note, my condo parking garage is like this. They put up signs saying no cycling in the garage, despite the fact that there are bike racks in the garage. I'm not sure how they expect cyclists to get in and out. Walk the bike up the parking ramps? Go up the elevators and through the lobby? Somehow I don't think the drivers would like either of those options. Anyway, I thoroughly ignore those signs.

Back