Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I think that's something that can also be shown with the signs that went up for the Pan Am games.
18998006280_7ccd5988a3_z_d.jpg

Instead of using something easy for everyone to understand they came up with acronyms for everything that nobody knew what they were without looking them up on the Pan am site first and then they had signs like this one pointing people different directions to the same location.
What's it's trying to say, is there is one route for the ambulatory and one route for those in wheelchairs. The elevator and stairs are in different locations.
As others have said, the acronyms made sense to the people who they were geared to.

Was at the Bay Concourse for the first since it shut down. So much for Metrolinx PR and communication depart as they are missing in action. How hard would it have been to make up 3-5 large signs with an arrow pointing west and saying ""To All GO trains and VIA Rail Follow The Arrows.""

It would save the GO Information personal a lot repeating the same answer in the thousand as to "Were Are The Trains, Where Do I Get The VIA Rail Train, How Do I get To My GO Train" and the list goes on. Metrolinx has no idea how to communicate since most or all of GO Transit PR people are gone these days. Unreal!!!

They have closed off a bit more of Bay--in the small section that remained open from the TTC moat towards Via/York, the western portion, i.e. the west set of the 2 sets of doors, has been closed, as has the northern portion adjacent to Cinnabon; now just the east set of moat doors and the main south part with the ramp are open.

IMG_0918.JPG
IMG_0920.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,438
  • IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0920.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,076
Was at the Bay Concourse for the first since it shut down. So much for Metrolinx PR and communication depart as they are missing in action. How hard would it have been to make up 3-5 large signs with an arrow pointing west and saying ""To All GO trains and VIA Rail Follow The Arrows.""

Agreed, they need much better signage directing people to the GO Trains from Union TTC.

How hard would it have been to make up 3-5 large signs with an arrow pointing west and saying ""To All GO trains and VIA Rail Follow The Arrows.""

Agreed, they need much better signage directing people to the GO Trains from Union TTC.

If it is big, clear, obvious signage you wanted? It is big, clear, obvious signage I present you. :)

As of September 8th the hoarding is being installed inside the Bay concourse, and so are these GIANT posters directing passengers towards the new concourse.

The hoarding seems to have shrunk down the route considerably.It looks like it is only going to include the "ramp" area and the "Bay-Front-West" doors. The southern passage that ran past Cinnabon is now closed as are the "Bay-Front-East" doors.

IMG_20150910_153304.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150910_153304.jpg
    IMG_20150910_153304.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,010
Additionally, it is worth noting that as of September 10th all remaining fittings appear to have been removed from the Bay Concourse. All of the remaining Presto terminals and GO screens are confirmed to have been removed.

Demolition is around the corner as the City is now very close to handing possession over to the contractor.

(My guess is the "ramp route" through Bay concourse will remain open until the North moat/tunnel opens to provide accessible access between TTC and GO/VIA. I assume the ramp route will be closed off as soon as the tunnel opens.)

If it is big, clear, obvious signage you wanted? It is big, clear, obvious signage I present you. :)

As of September 8th the hoarding is being installed inside the Bay concourse, and so are these GIANT posters directing passengers towards the new concourse.

The hoarding seems to have shrunk down the route considerably.It looks like it is only going to include the "ramp" area and the "Bay-Front-West" doors. The southern passage that ran past Cinnabon is now closed as are the "Bay-Front-East" doors.

View attachment 54597

What's with the French just referring people to the GO site?

I think since Go / Metrolink are a provincial business they have to do business in both official luanguges
And yet there are no detailed instructions in French - seriously, people are supposed to pull out their phones and go to GO site to get navigational directions? Nor is there an instruction to visit the web site for more detail in English.

I don't think this is a major concern - most people will be able to figure it out base on what's there - but boy, what a half-baked approach to bilingual signage.

And yet there are no detailed instructions in French - seriously, people are supposed to pull out their phones and go to GO site to get navigational directions? Nor is there an instruction to visit the web site for more detail in English.

I don't think this is a major concern - most people will be able to figure it out base on what's there - but boy, what a half-baked approach to bilingual signage.

This is what I was getting at. I mean, the panels below are blank and being larger than the upper ones they most likely have enough room for the equivalent French (allowing for the fact that French text is usually up to about 20% longer than the equivalent English).

Also, the information conveyed in English is succinct enough that you might expect a referral to the GO site under it in English (For more information, visit gotransit.com).

I think someone may actually have screwed up the formatting of what is supposed to be a bilingual notice:

English info
English site link
French info
French site link

and somehow the middle two elements were deleted.

my guess would be they don't get many request for information in french here in Toronto so they can get around it by just directing people who want ot to their website. thye could have put a qr code to help out thgough

my guess would be they don't get many request for information in french here in Toronto so they can get around it by just directing people who want ot to their website. thye could have put a qr code to help out thgough

I don't see why there isn't a link to more detailed information in English as well, e.g., for people who want to know how long the closure will be, what's accessible, etc.

Also, gotransit.com is very non-specific in terms of information about this particular closure, whereas gotransit.com/bay leads to

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/bay.aspx

which is pretty detailed

(and similarly http://www.gotransit.com/public/fr/improve/bay.aspx)

I don't see why there isn't a link to more detailed information in English as well, e.g., for people who want to know how long the closure will be, what's accessible, etc.

Also, gotransit.com is very non-specific in terms of information about this particular closure, whereas gotransit.com/bay leads to

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/bay.aspx

which is pretty detailed

(and similarly http://www.gotransit.com/public/fr/improve/bay.aspx)

There isn't much info on the website maybe they should do a video like the safety one thy have at the rogers centre that explains how to get to each section.

Back