Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Are those single doors at the bottom of the stairs? That will be an annoying chokepoint.

Most stairs are about the width of a single door anyways. The good thing is that there will be far more stairs. However, GO definitely needs to implement a policy of having loading platforms and unloading platforms so all traffic on the stairs goes one way.

Are those single doors at the bottom of the stairs? That will be an annoying chokepoint.

No, they are double doors. I was trying to capture the waiting area for the shot in question. Here is another shot I took showing the double doors.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2689.jpg
    IMG_2689.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 1,038
Hmm, yeah. Points well taken. As long as the Great Hall gets more foot traffic by being integrated more into the flow of the station, I'll be happy. It needs to be used. It's great.

Every time I'm there I wish it was busier like Grand Central Terminal. Maybe adding in a few open concept restaurants would help.

Access via the new PATH tunnel:

[video=youtube;T7cg85vZNE0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7cg85vZNE0[/video]

Every time I'm there I wish it was busier like Grand Central Terminal. Maybe adding in a few open concept restaurants would help.

Yep, exactly. Or some cafes with seating into the great hall, so it's a place where people gravitate to read, meet, chat, and just kill some time waiting for departures/arrivals. It just be the heart of the station, but to do that it needs to draw people in. If it had stuff, who wouldn't want to sit in that great hall and a coffee or drink?

There is a plan for a restaurant to go in where the restored north row of wickets are in the Great Hall, with seating on top of it.

Here's more to contemplate re: Union.

[video=youtube;ySMvgjrgtLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySMvgjrgtLI[/video]

A little bit of how the Front Street sidewalk is being laid in this video:

A quibble - it would have looked so much better if the lower half of the elevator shaft was clad in glass instead of being this obstructive concrete block right in the POV of someone travelling along the concourse axis.

AoD

Last edited:
There is a plan for a restaurant to go in where the restored north row of wickets are in the Great Hall, with seating on top of it.

Yep, I saw that. So hopefully that brings people into the Great Hall. I was just more generally referring to having multiple cafe's that extend into the floor area, creating a meeting place of sorts.

Thanks for those videos, btw. Those were awesome.

Somewhat surprised at what appears to be the somewhat limited number of seats available in the York concourse, though.

Back