Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Not sure if this has been mentioned previously but when can we expect to see the C-cars start arriving? Also how does the noise level on acceleration compare to the latest GO locos? I would assume Tier 4 would have a marked improvement on noise if I'm not mistaken

Also how does the noise level on acceleration compare to the latest GO locos? I would assume Tier 4 would have a marked improvement on noise if I'm not mistaken

I haven't seen one of the UPX sets running yet, but if it's anything like any of the thousands of other DMUs powered by the same driveline, they aren't that quiet inside the passenger compartment. You definitely know when the train is accelerating. From the outside, they're noisy - you'll have to increase the volume of your conversation if you are standing beside it - but certainly not deafening.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Had to be in Brampton last week and stop off at the Brampton Station to verify the info I have posted.

A retaining wall can be built on the north side of the corridor easy, but requires the use of an office parking lot at Queen St and the removal of a business across the street from it to do it. The retaining wall would run from Queen to the east side of the station along the edge of Nelson St beside the sidewalk.

The existing stairs and elevators will have to be remove unless making that platform very wide to maintain them. Still have to build a tunnel to get under the new track 1.

There is enough room to bend the new track cross Mills Rd to be on the south side of the fence on the west side of Mills and the driveway for the office building "IF" the boiler building, stairs and elevators are remove to maintain current width platforms. Will be a slow order with a big bend if these items are not removed. The only way to remove the slow order is to close off the driveway and removing the existing fencing. The lost of that driveway for the office building will have very little impact on it.

They have close the north stair off Main St, but no work is taking place, considering work to rebuild it had started sometime ago.

Otherwise, you can get the 3rd track in the current station area, but will see the lost of parking spots to do so. It will have an impact on the proposed LRT stop plan for this area, but better off leaving it on the street for the 2nd phase.

As for Weston Tunnel, that has been the plan going back to the summer time as well adding the 2nd track at West Toronto tunnel. Both have 2 tracks in them. Down side at Weston, only track 2 in place at this time as track 3 & 4 were removed for the rebuilding of the west platform. Would not take long to put in track 3 in, but 4 will go in after the platform is built.

I'm not a train geek but since I was walking past I snapped
OVy8lUP.jpg

U4TV43o.jpg

N9fAkVs.jpg

http://www.ourunionpearson.ca/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Take_action:_say_no_to_paying_$20_to_$30_to_ride_the_new_Union-Pearson_train_

Does anyone know what the future plans are for the construction staging sites north of Weston Road bridge? They're fairly sizeable lots, and I'd imagine Metrolinx would look to sell them to a developer to re-coup revenue.

+1

Demanding TTC-level fares for the UPX is a joke. I understand wanting it to be affordable, but $3? It costs more than that to take GO transit along the same route. That takes longer, is less comfortable, less frequent and doesn't actually get you to the airport.

In agreeing with you I felt the need to add a few words (in bold).

+1

Demanding TTC-level fares for the UPX is a joke. I understand wanting it to be affordable, but $3? It costs more than that to take GO transit along the same route.

I've said it before here and I'll say it again: if people want access to the airport on TTC fare, they need to support completing the Eglinton Crosstown extension west of Mount Dennis (or alternatively, Tory's Smarttrack). This is just emotional and irrational.

Yes, I was being generous is comparing GO to the UPX. UPX is a more premium service and should be priced accordingly.
There's 2 parts to this though. They are also asking that additional stations be added at Bathurst, King, Queen, College, The Junction, St. Clair, Keele, Eglinton, Jane, Kipling and Woodbine, making the 2-stop express train a 13-stop not-express train. So it woudn't be premium service at that point. With that many stops, yes, it should be priced like TTC.

If you dig through their stuff, there's some wacky and incindery stuff in there such as "run clean electric trains asap, not cancerous diesel trains". Cancerous diesel trains? With a phrase like that, they've exposed themselves as being a bunch of nutjobs, and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Back