Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Obviously, it doesn't make sense for a family of 4 going on holiday.
It could - I've paid almost $100 for airport parking for a couple of weeks, because it was still cheaper, and more convenient, than two $50 taxis, especially when landing around midnight. When the car is full of luggage, the BD subway and Airport Express bus aren't that attractive.

Bigger issue is getting my stuff to Union station - though when the more frequent electrified Lakeshore line starts running that will help that issue.

I think the real answer here is that there needs to be 2 services. An airport express AND a local service - each running every 20 minutes or so. Ultimately electrified, but if they can start the initial airport service quickly with refurbished diesel equipment, and then proceed to complete the electrification, local service, and purchase newer equipment later on, why not?

This service will enhance downtown as a business and tourist location. It will enhance Union's importance as a transit hub. It will reduce the advantage of the island airport. I don't think it precludes better local transit options for getting to the airport in the future. I think it would be a good thing.

If public transit solutions were part of the plan from the beginning then Bluee 22 would be far less of a concern. But there is no consideration for residents of the city who want an affordable solution, or those working in the employment area, or any consideration of future accomodation of GO (except for half assed plans for stations at the edge of lands with people movers and other shuttle services).

If Blue22 is put in place do you think SNC-Lavalin is going to just let its monopoly over passenger rail service to Union disappear? Do you think that they will see no problems in 5 years time if GO decided to serve Pearson at half the costs and with regular frequency? Putting Blue22 in place without ensuring all the proper measures for future public transit are in place is a perfect way to guarantee that the corridor remains the private operators playground for decades to come with city residents being the big losers.

Sullivan also expressed concerns that the original plan calls for using diesel rather than electric trains.

"If we're going to be world-class," he said, "let's not run 55-year-old trains."

What's this guy's UT username! :D

I agree with most of the residents' points except for their opposition to PPPs. However the deal should still have taxpayers maintaining ownership of the infrastructure.

I think it's too early for people to freak out over this. The existence of an express service like Blue22 does not automatically mean that there won't also be some kind of GO type service with more stops, or even a western arm of a subway DRL. I say wait and see in September what Metrolinx has planned for airport rail links before we trash this plan.

I think it's too early for people to freak out over this. The existence of an express service like Blue22 does not automatically mean that there won't also be some kind of GO type service with more stops, or even a western arm of a subway DRL. I say wait and see in September what Metrolinx has planned for airport rail links before we trash this plan.

I agree. Look at London, Heathrow is serviced by both an express service and local subway. They both seem to make money and serve all spectrums of the population. While Toronto is much smaller than London Heathrow I still think this will be good for Toronto.

I know of many business people that stay at some of the downtown hotels and many of them would love to have a service like this.

Pros:
Cheaper then Limo/cab
No traffic problems
No road construction to deal with.

That said, I do agree that some sort of future public transport, be it rail or subway, should be included in the planning.

True, but... from what I read in the Star this Blue22 plan will be set in concrete BEFORE Metrolinx gets its regional transit plan unwrapped, let alone approved. I have no problem with having BOTH a private fast/expensive service from the airport to downtown (Blue22) AND a slower, regular and PUBLIC service. I'm just afraid we will get one but not the other!

I agree. Look at London, Heathrow is serviced by both an express service and local subway.
And a local rail service (Heathrow Connect). The express goes to Heathrow Central and T5, while the local goes to Heathrow Central and T4. There's also plans for a direct rail link to Staines from T5.

There's an idea, run service from Kitchener/Guelph/Brampton into Pearson as well as from downtown!

I see no reason why the regular TTC subway can't be extended the less than 12 km from Kipling Stn to the airport. This would NOT be an extra fare zone, such as when TTC buses dare cross into Vaughan, Mississauga, Markham, etc., but instead would be a regular stop. All it would take is for the province to permit a TTC corridor through Mississauga territory.

The route could go from Kipling along Dundas to near Cloverdale mall, a total of 2.5 km. Then the train goes straight up the 427 on above ground track for about 10 km to the airport. At the subway's top normal speed of about 65 kph, that run from "Cloverdale Station" would take about nine minutes.

And a local rail service (Heathrow Connect). The express goes to Heathrow Central and T5, while the local goes to Heathrow Central and T4. There's also plans for a direct rail link to Staines from T5.

There's an idea, run service from Kitchener/Guelph/Brampton into Pearson as well as from downtown!

Chicago is planning a similar express train from BOTH their airports (O'Hare and Midway) to downtown in addition to their existing subway connections.

This Sullivan guy seems to think living in Weston gives him the right to dictate the details of an important piece of regional infrastructure. Community groups often adopt a tone of entitlement that make them annoying.

Robert Moses. Jane Jacobs. Lower Manhattan Expressway.

Busted.

If I had my way:
airportja0.jpg

The Airport Express Railway would be run with Bombardier Talent EMUs (or something similar). It would stop at Black Creek, Terminal 1, and Terminal 3, using a different alignment. It would be an express premium service without one dime of public subsidy, and diverge from the Weston Sub at the 401. Then it follows Dixon and goes underground near the 427 to underground stops at the two terminals.

For those who don't want to take the express train, the people mover would be extended to Woodbine Track (with a multimodal rail/bus terminal) for GO and VIA trains. In the south you could get to Renforth with a local and intercity bus terminal (as well as the Eglinton Subway).

It satisfies all needs and doesn't make business travellers laugh at quaint DMUs.

I agree.

I'll chip in some money for the project.

I find we don't use our space well in Canada; I guess, figuring we have so much of it. An express line should definitely run along corridors already used for transportation (rail, highways, medians) in order to free up other areas for green space.

West Toronto Railpath

Construct will be stalled on the southern portion until Blue22 is settled.

Construction's a go on West Toronto Railpath built on defunct CN line
Aug 06, 2008 04:30 AM
Theresa Boyle

Construction of the first trail to be built on an abandoned rail line in the Greater Toronto Area has finally begun, 10 years after the idea was first conceived.

Rough grading on the northern half of the highly anticipated bike trail was completed earlier this summer, and this week a crew will begin building steps to elevated sections of the path.

"I'm really thrilled that it's finally happening. It's been so long!" says Netami Stuart, of the group Friends of the West Toronto Railpath.

Still, she's holding her excitement in check. That's because the southern half of the trail is in limbo. It will remain stalled until the fate of the high-speed rail link from Union Station to Pearson airport is decided, say city officials.

"It's very annoying. By the time they make a decision on the fast link to Pearson, maybe I will have ... had children and they will be too old to bicycle," says Stuart.

When completed, the WTR will cut diagonally across the west end, from the Junction to Strachan Ave., along a rail corridor that was once part of the Grand Trunk Railway.

Though cyclists have been the most excited about the 5-kilometre trail, it will also be open to in-line skaters, dog walkers and joggers looking for a shortcut to the western edge of the city core.

Creating linear parks on old rail lines and hydro corridors is a practice cities across North America are increasingly adopting, taking advantage of rare vacant swaths of land.

The idea for the West Toronto Railpath was first raised by landscape architects Victor Ford and Associates in a 1998 report to the Toronto Cycling Committee as one of 46 cycling trail opportunities in rail and hydro corridors in the GTA.

"The (WTR) path is part of what is envisioned to be a pan-Toronto network of off-road bike paths. We're looking to complete that over the next 20 years," says Ward 18 Councillor Adam Giambrone. The city's plan is to have 1,000 kilometres of bikeways; so far, there are only 385.

"(There is) such a built-up city fabric already, so to get this sort of continuous flow through the city is quite a challenge," remarks Alex Shevchuk, an acting supervisor with the city's parks department.

The Roncesvalles-Macdonell Residents Association seized on Ford's idea for the WTR and began pushing for it in 2001. The Community Bicycle Network and Evergreen, a group supporting healthy communities, then joined the effort.

"I suspect once the southern piece is built, you're going to see tens of thousands of cyclists using it. It's an efficient corridor because it's diagonal," says Tom Timmins, formerly of the residents' association.

Still, it's anyone's guess when that half of the trail, from Dundas St. W. to Strachan Ave., will be built.

"It's going to be a few years before that's a reality, definitely, but that's the big dream," Shevchuk says.

This section would let cyclists connect to Wellington St. or the Martin Goodman Trail and make their way into the city centre.

The problem is West Toronto Railpath's proximity to active rail lines there. The closer the lines get to Union Station, the more they converge, forming a bottleneck. Running right through this would be the so-called Blue 22 high-speed rail link to Pearson, a project that has been stalled since 2006.

"It's all tied up in an environmental assessment process being conducted by GO Transit that is addressing both GO expansion and also the air-rail link," Shevchuk says.

Stuart disagrees with critics who contend that the 2.2-kilometre northern half of the path – from Cariboo Ave., north of Dupont St., to Dundas St. W., west of Lansdowne – will be a trail to nowhere.

"It connects to a lot of different things. It will get a lot of use," she argues of the path that borders on five neighbourhoods: the Junction, Wallace-Emerson, High Park, Dufferin Grove and Roncesvalles Village. At Bloor St., it hooks up with a GO station and a subway station.

The city spent about $4 million to buy the property from CP in 2003. The line has not been in use for about 40 years. Some $1.5 million is being spent to build the linear park, which will include a 3.5-metre-wide asphalt trail, landscaping, lighting, benches and public art.

Stuart, who lives and works in the area, plans to be a regular user.

"I'm thrilled to see it, as someone who can use it to go and get Mexican food in the Junction or go to the grocery store at Lansdowne and Dundas West. It's going to be a very useful thing to get from work to anywhere."

Back